History of Liberty, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Liberty lies in the south-western part of Waldo County, 16 miles W.S.W. of Belfast, on the stage-road from that city to Augusta. The outline of the town is of diamond form, having its longest axis north and south. Montville bounds it on the south-east, Searsniont lies at the eastern angle, Palermo on the north-west and west, Washington and Appleton in Knox County, on tile south-west and southeast. Tile greatest length of the territory is about 8 miles, anti the width, 6. The surface is much broken by rocky eminences, of which the highest is Haystack Mountain. Others are Coon Mountain and Bowlin Hill. The soil is sandy in some parts, while in others, especially in the valley, it is a clay loam, of much fertility. Excellent crops of hay, grain, apples and potatoes reward tile labor of the farmer. The town is noticeable for its numerous large apple orchards. St. Georgeís Pond, in the northern part of the town, has an area of 2 square miles. Stevenís, Cargillís and Mud Ponds are tile other sheets of water. The principal streams are the Sheepseot, which crosses the north-western part of the town, and the St. Georgeís, which is the outlet of the St. Georgeís, Stevenís and Cargillís Ponds. Liberty Village, situated at the northern border of the town on the outlet of St. Georgeís Pond, is the chief business centre. There are here an axe-factory, a foundry and machine-shop, two tanneries, five saw-mills, manufacturing long and short lumber, and a grist-mill, water-wheels, carriages, cultivators, horse rakes, cabinets and coffins, saddles and harnesses, boot3 and shoes, etc. At South Liberty are two lumber-mills. The nearest railroad station is at Belfast.

Liberty is within the limits of the Waldo patent. It was incorporated January 31, 1827. Among the prominent citizens of this town have been Messrs. J. W. Knowlton, T. Copp, J. C. Knowlton, William Sanborn, W. H. Hunt, W. R. Hunt, and others, some of whom are still living. There are Methodist, Christian, and Baptist societies in the town; the last having a good church edifice. There is a high-school sustained in the villaoíe district. The number of public schoolhouses is seven, and their value, with appurtenances, is estimated at $3,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $193,819. In 1880 it was $264,757. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2½ per cent. The population in 1870 was 907. In 1880 it was 970.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York