Limerick is a prosperous town in the northern part
of York County, 25 miles from the seaboard. It embraces an area of about 15,500 acres, or about 24 square miles.
The township was enlarged by act of legislature in 1870, when a tract of about 350 acres was annexed from the adjoining
town of Limington. The town is bounded on the north by Cornish, east by Limington, south by Little Ossipee River,
which separates Limerick from Waterboro, and west by Newfield and Parsonfield. The town is part of Francis Small’s
purchase froni the Pequaket chief, Captain Sunday. The town was first settled in 1775. The settlers came from the
seaboard towns of York County, Newbury, Mass., and a few from Limerick, Ireland,—wherefore, on the incorporation
of the town in 1787, it received the name of Limerick. James Sullivan, subsequently governor of Massachusetts,
was a pioneer of the town.
The surface is uneven and hilly, with good soil. The declivities of the hills are best for tillage, while the lowlands
are excellent for hay. The usual crops are cultivated, with, perhaps, a larger proportion than usual of apples;
while grapes and cranberries yield a good return. The rock formation consists principally of a coarse granite.
Stroul’s Mountain, at the extreme north-cast of the town, is the highest elevation. The principal business points
are Limerick village, near the centre of the town, and Hollandville about 2 miles to the north-east. The manufactories
consist of a steam-power furniture manufactory, a tannery which turns out about 600 hides per week, a clothing
factory at the village, and at Hollandville two woolen factories, one of which produces the celebrated “Holland
blankets,” and the other woolen cloths to the value of about $150,000 worth of goods annually. There are also grist,
shingle and lumbermills on the same stream, Brown’s Brook, and on Staple’s and Fogg’s brooks, and on the Little
Ossipee River, which bounds the town on the south. The public buildings consist of three churches, a town-hall
and an academy. The town-hall is an elegant brick building, 40 by 60 feet in ground dimensions. The basement is
used for commercial purposes; and above are two commodious halls, and rooms for the town-officers.
The Rev. Edward Eastman was the first pastor of the Congregational church, having been ordained over it in the
year of its organization. Later pastors have been the Rev. Charles Freeman, Rev. Albert Cole, Rev. Charles Packard,
Rev. Philip Titcomb, and Rev. Thomas M. Lord. The Baptist church was organized in 1796, Elder Ebenezer R. Kinsman
being ordained its first pastor. Among his successors have been Elder Joshua Roberts, four years from 1831; Rev.
Henry A. Sawtelle, ordained July, 1858 ; Rev. Asa Perkins, 1870. The Free Baptist church was organized in 1822,
with Rev. Elias Libby as pastor. The church was re-organized in 1835, when Rev. A. R. Bradbury, a graduate of Bowdoin
College, was settled as pastor. His successors up to 1854 have been Rev. William P. Chase, Elder David Manson,
Elder Keene, Revs. D. H. Lord, James Rand, and Horace Wellington.
In the war of the Rebellion, the quotas of Limerick were promptly filled, and no drafted men went from the town.
Of her soldiers in this war the most distinguished are H. H. Burbank, Arthur Burbank, Malcolm Burbank, Samuel H.
Libby, Frederick Libby, William Barker, Charles Cobb, Horace Favor, Gardner Libby, John Key, John Connor, Francis
Sawyer, George Gore, Jefferson Stimpson, Frank Libby, Henry Bradbury, Edwin Clark, Joseph Hill, Thomas P. Miles,
Lewis Richards, Granville Boynton, Winfield Hasty, Daniel Watson, Richard Dearborn, Isaac Sawyer, George Miles,
Charles Knight, John Knight,James Evans, Plonny Drew, Mr. Durgin; of whom the last five died in the service.
Limerick has ten public schoolhouses, valued at $4,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $392,637. In 1880
it was $365,362. The population in 1870 was 1,425; in 1880 it was 1,253.