History of Lincoln County, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Lincoln County Towns - Boothbay - Breman - Bristol
- Damariscotta - Dresden - Edgecomb
- Jefferson - Monhegan Plantation - Newcastle
- Nobleborough - Somerville - Waldoborough
- Westport - Whitefield - Wiscasset
Lincoln County Towns - Boothbay - Breman - Bristol - Damariscotta - Dresden - Edgecomb - Jefferson - Monhegan Plantation - Newcastle - Nobleborough - Somerville - Waldoborough - Westport - Whitefield - Wiscasset
Lincoln County occupies a middle place on the coast
of Maine in respect to population, and no county of equal territory has so many harbors and havens. It is much
cut up by arms of the sea and pond-like rivers, but there are no great variations of altitude in the surface. Damariscotta
River occupies nearly the middle line of the county, extending from north to south. East of this and parallel thereto
is the line of Muscongus Bay, its extension inland as Broad Bay, and Medomac River. Parallel on the west is the
Sheepseot River, with its excellent harbor. This county is bounded on the east by Knox County, west by Sagadahoc
and Kennebec, and north by the last, Waldo and Knox, and south by the ocean The Knox & Lin. r.r. crosses it.
At the outbreak of King Philip’s war, in 1675, the settlements of Cornwall, scattered over a wide extent of
country, embraced some 300 families. Under the prudent management of Abraham Shurt, the chief magistrate of this
county, a larger degree of amity had been maintained with the Indians than in other parts ; and the inhabitants
of this region did not suffer so severely during the first year of the war as those in the westerly settlements.
In the second year, however, Old Cornwall was likewise swept with the besom of destruction; and thenceforth until
1700 the settlements were deserted, or the inhabitants who remained were in terror of savage attacks, with only
brief intervals of repose. In 1688, the County of Cornwall was entirely depopulated and desolated by the Indians
under the lead of Moxus. Sir William Phips, first governor of Massachusetts under William and Mary, was desirous
of doing something, if possible, to recover from the dominion of the savage the land of his youth; and in 1692
he built in place of Fort Charles, which had been destroyed, a fortification of stone, naming it Fort William Henry.
In 1696, M. Iberville, with a force of French and Indians, entered the harbor and invested the place, and by means
of artillery succeeded in forcing its surrender.