History of Lincoln, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Lincoln lies on the eastern side of Penobseot River, about midway of Penobscot County. It is on the European and North American Railway, 45 miles N.N.E. of Bangor. Lincoln is bounded on the north-east by Winn, east by Lee, and south by Enfield, Lowell and Burlington. The Penobscot River separates it on the west and north-west from Mattamiscontis and Chester. Its area is 57,600 acres. The surface of the town is much broken, and back from the river it is quite rocky with slate ledges and granite bowlders. The soil is of average fertility, and about one half the territory is under cultivation. There was formerly a heavy growth of pine, but what now remains of the forests is chiefly spruce and hemlock. There are within the limits of the town no less than 15 ponds. The Cumbolasse series of seven in the northern part supply at Lincoln Centre, on their outlet near the Penobscot, two excellent water-powers. The Mattanawcook series, lying across the middle of the town, supply the power for several mills at Lincoln village. The Coldstrearn series, consisting of five ponds lying near the southern border, furnish some small powers on their connecting streams. The largest of these ponds is Long Pond in the northern part of the town, having an area of some 400 acres, while two of theMattanawcook series, and three of the Coldstream ponds are of nearly equal size. The manufactures of this town consist of long and short lumber, spools, leather, meal and flour, marble and granite work, and others usually found in small villages.

About the year 1825, Israel Heald, John Carpenter, Alfred Gates, Benjamin Hammond, Stephen Chase, Humphrey Merrill, Ira Fisk, and others became residents of what is now Lincoln. It is supposed that there may have been sonic settlers earlier than these. Not far front the above date that portion of the territory not already sold to settlers was purchased by Governor Enoch Lincoln. Those who located on the Lincoln purchase were mostly from Oxford County, while those in other parts came from New Hampshire. The first mill appears to have been on the Mattanawcook Stream, where the lower village now stands. The construction of the military road to Houlton, which passed through here, gave the settlements an increased impetus ; and this village, being quite central for the lumbering operations of the period, became quite a rendezvous for lumbermen.

Lincoln has churches of time Methodists, Congregati onalists and Baptists. The number of public schoolhouses is eight, and the school property is valued at $3,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $343,177. In 1880 it was $365,295. The population in 1S70 was 1,530. In 1880 it was 1,659.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York