History of Lincoln Plantation, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Lincoln Plantation, in Oxford County, has the New Hampshire line for its western boundary, and is the second plantation west of Rangeley. It is about 40 miles N.N.W. of Bethel, and 20 miles east of Colebrook, N. H. The Magalloway River runs through the midst of the township southward to its junction with the Androscoggin, near Umbagog Lake, 10 miles distant. In the eastern part is Lincoln Pond, whose outlet, with Abbott Brook on the western side are tributaries of the Magalloway, and the principal streams of the township. Other ponds are Parker Hill and Bean. The mountains are quite numerous, and consist of Aziscoos, Observatory, Half Moon and Deer mountains, and Parker and Emery hills, ranging from 1,000 to 5,000 feet in height. The rock is chiefly granite. The soil is loam, with hard pan below. Maple, birch, spruce and fir constitute the forests. Hay is the crop chiefly raised, finding a ready sale with the lumbermen.

This town is the principal line of summer travel for Parmachene Lake, a great hunting and fishing resort. Aziscoos Falls are the most striking natural curiosity. Their height is variously estimated from 200 to 300 feet. There are many other beautiful cataracts that have as vet no name.

This plantation was formerly No. 5, Range 2. It was organized under its present name in 1875. The first settlements were about 50 years ago. In 1860 the plantation constituted a thriving farming community, but by the depression of the lumber business since 1870, the population became reduced in 1875 to four families. It is now increasing. Lincoln plantation furnished 8 men for the Union cause during the war of the Rebellion.

The plantation has a library of nearly 500 volumes. Singing-schools, picnics and balls furnish entertainment suited to the various tastes. Religious meetings are held in the schoolhouse. The school property of the plantation is valued at $200. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $21,366. In 1880 it was $17,972. The rate of taxation in the latter year was about 13 mills on a dollar. The population in 1870 was 258. In 1880 it was 52.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York