History of Lincolnville, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Lincolnville forms the south-eastern point of Waldo County, being about 7 miles in length and 4 in width. It lies on the western shore of Penobscot Bay, 12 miles south of Belfast, and is on the stageline from Bangor to Rockland. Lincoln was formed of the plantations of Ducktrap and Canaan. It is bounded by Northport and Penobscot Bay on the north-east and east, Searsmont and Belmont on the north-west, Hope on the south-west, and Camden on the south. Nearly the entire border of the town is covered by hills or ponds. The high est is Peaked Mountain, standing on the eastern line and partly on Northport, which has an altitude of about 800 feet. The other most notable eminence is Muddy Mountain, lying at the extreme western part of the town. Pitcher Pond extends along the north-eastern line, lying partly in Northport. Its outlet, Ducktrap River, is the principal stream in the town. Andrew's Pond lies near the centre of the town, and Fletcher Pond in the western part. The closely-connected ponds, named Lincoinville, Canaan and Horton, in the south-western part, cover a large area in this town and in Camden. Ducktrap Stream has a pond surface of about 2,800 acres, and the faIl on the stream is 300 feet in 3 miles. The principal power is about 20 rods above Ducktrap bridge, and 40 rods from high-water mark. A canal could be made with a small outlay to conduct the water below the bridge, where factories could be built close upon tide-water, where vessels could lie beside them. This river, with feasible improvements, could be made to increase its power to be equal to carrying 75,000 spindles. McCobb Stream, Gould, Kendal and Andrew's Ponds each furnish some power; and each of the three last have a mill. The town has six lumber mills, a grist mill, a tannery, several lime and granite quarries, the last material being of a superior quality. There arc also manufactured here in small quantities tinware, boots and shoes and carriages. The surface of the town is generally broken, rocky, buggy and mountainous. The villages are Lincolnville Centre and The Beach, the latter the same as Lincolnville post-office. The nearest railroad connections are at Belfast and Rockland, each about 12 miles distant. There is connection eastward and with Boston by steamers.

Lincolnville was incorporated June 23, 1802. John Studley and a Mr. Wilson commenced a residence in tile town in 1774, and were the first settlers. The churches are two Methodist and one Baptist. The number of public schoolhouses is fourteen. The value of the entire school property in the town is $9,989. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $436,956. In 1880 it was $409,296. The population in 1870 was 1,900. In 1880 it was 1,706.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York