History of Linneus, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Linneus, in Aroostook County, lies south-west of Houlton, their opposite corners touching. New Limerick bounds it on the north, Hodgdon on the east, and Oakfield plantation on the west. The head waters of the Mattawamkeag and Meduxnekeag rivers are found in the town. Meduxuekeag Lake lies in the north-western part of this town, and portions of New Limerick Lake lie on the northern border near the east. There are several other ponds in the various parts. The principal streams are the South Branch of the Meduxnekeag River in the northern part of the town, and Beaver Brook running southward to the Mattawanikeag. Linneus village, near the centre of the town, is also the centre of business. Linneus has two saw-mills; one of these and a. grist-mill being near the Meduxnekeag Lake, on its outlet. The old “Military Road” passes through the town. The nearest railroad station is at Houlton, 9 miles from the village. The northern part of the town is somewhat billy and rocky, but southward of this the surface is gently undulating. The soil in most parts is a light loam, and of an excellent quality and well adapted to grazing and crops. Potatoes, hay and wheat are chiefly cultivated, though from 80 to 90 bushels of corn to an acre have sometimes been produced. In the north-western part limestone of an excellent quality is found in abundance. Magnetic iron ore is quite plentiful in some parts, and affords beautiful cabinet svecimens.

Linneus was incorporated in 1836. It was originally granted by Massachusetts to endow a professorship of botany; and was therefore named for the most renowned of botanists. The first settler was Daniel Neal, who removed hither from New Brunswick in 1826. In the following year it was surveyed into lots. Colonel Moses Burleigh, who settled here in 1830, was a captain in the militia of Maine in the war with Great Britain in 1812. He was stationed at Belfast with his campany when the British ascended the Penobscot to capture the United States cervette “Adams,” then undergoing repairs at Hampden. He represented his district in the Massachusetts Legislature several years, and, after the separation of Maine, was for several years in its legislature. Linneus has two inhabitants above 90 years of age, and several nearly that.

The Baptist and Methodist societies each have churches in Linneus. The number of public schoolhouses is seven. The school property of the town is valued at $2,250. The valuation of estates in 1810 was $117,917. In 1880 it was $151,349. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 15 mills on a dollar. The population in 1870 was 1,008. In 1880 it was 917.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York