History of Littleton, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Littleton, in Aroostook County, joins Houlton on the north of that town. It is bounded on other sides by Monticello on the north, letter B. Township on the west, and Wilmot, in New Brunswick, on the east. The area is 22,040 acres. The northern half was granted to Framingham Academy by the Massachusetts Legislature in 1801, and was surveyed in the following year. The southern half is the northern part of a township granted to Williams College in 1800, the southern half of which now forms the northern half of Houlton. It was located in 1801 by Park Holland. Though settlements began so early, it did not until 1856 contain a sufficient number of inhabitants to obtain the act of incorporation, which it then first received. The most of the lots are now occupied. Littleton post-office is near the centre of the town. The stage-line from Houlton to Upper Aroostook passes this point.

The surface of the town is diversified by swells and forest tracts The land is fertile, and yields well of the crops suitable to the latitude. The Meduxnekeag River crosses the north-east part of the town, furnishing several good water-powers. Big Brook, which comes from the northwest through the town to the Meduxnekeag, also has some good powers.

The Methodists and Free Baptists both have organizations in the town. The number of public schoolhouses is seven, having, with appurtenances, the value of $800. The value of estates in 1870 was $94,257. In 1S80 it was $126,289. The population in 1870 was 700. In 1880 it was 904.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York