Livermore, the north-western town of Androscoggin County,
was incorporated in 1795. It was originally a grant from Massachusetts to certain persons for services in the expedition
against Port Royal about the middle of the century, whence its early name of Port Royal. The Audroscoggin River,
the division between it and East Livermore and Leeds on the east and south-east, on the south is Turner, on the
west Hartford and Canton, and on the north Canton and Jay. It contains about 17,800 acres of land. Long and Round
ponds, in the northern part of the town, and separated by a few rods only are the largest. Bartlett's Pond is near
the centre, and Brettun's is in the south-westerly part of the town. Livermore constitutes the high middle ground
between the hills of Oxford and the more moderate elevations of the Kennebec. Its highest hills are Ilamlin's (or
Mount Seir), Butler's and Birch. These afford extended views toward the White Mountains, the Penobscot River and
the sea. The soil, though stony, is strong and productive. Apples and dairy products form the largest items for
the market. There are mills for lumber, and turned woodenboxes, and a cheese-factory at Brettun's Mills (Livermore
Village P. 0.); a tannery, cheese-factory, two mills, and a grist-mill at North Livermore; and a saw-mill near
Deacon Elijah Livermore and Major Thomas Fish were the first settlers removing to the place in 1779. Major Fish
perished in a snow storm in the following winter while on the way home from Winthrop, where he had been to visit
the lady to whom he was engaged. Deacon Livermore built the first mill in town in 1782 or 1783 near Long Pond.
Saw, fulling, card and grist mills have since been operated on the outlet of this pond. Early in the century Deacon
Livermore built a grist and saw mill at the outlet of Brettun's Pond. The first church was of the Baptist denomination,
and was organized in 1793. rfhe Methodists organized a society in 1802, under the direction of Rev. Joshua Soule,
afterward a bishop of that church. The town has now Universalist, Methodist, and Baptist and Free Baptist churches.
There are seventeen sehoohouses in the town, worth about $4,000. The estates in 1870 were valued at $524,267. In
1880 they were $430,709. The population at that date was 1,467. In 1880 it was 1,262. Among the noted citizens
were General David Learned, Jonathan G. Hunton, subsequently governor of Maine; Reuel Washburn, judge of Probate
for Androscoggin; Dr. Cyrus Hamlin, Israel Washburn, and others. Natives of the town who have obtained eminence
are Israel Washburn, Jr., LL.D., member of Congress and governor of Maine; Elihu B., member of Congress for Illinois,
secretary of state in 1869, and later United States minister to France; Cadwallader C., member of Congress from
Wisconsin, major-general of volunteers, and subsequently governor of Wisconsin Charles A., United States minister
in Paraguay, and author of a history of that country; Samuel B., once a shipmaster, later captain of a marine force
in the war of the Rebellion; William D., an extensive manufacturer and surveyor-general of Minnesota, all brothers;
Hannibal Hamlin, LL.D., formerly Senator and Vice-President of the United States, and others. Livermore has had
two centenarians, Captain David Hinkley, who died in 1867, aged one hundred and two years, lacking a few days;
and Sarah Kidder, who was born in 1771, and was living at last accounts, when she was above one hundred and one
years. The town had 98 men in service during the war of the Rebellion, among whom was Col. Lee Strickland. E. B.
Haskell, of the Boston Herald, is a native of this town.