Lowell is an agricultural town of Penobscot County,
lying east of the Penobscot River, 48 miles N.N.E. of Bangor. It is bounded on the north by Enfield and Lincoln,
east by Burlington, south by township No. 1, of the Bingharn Purchase, and west by Passadumkeag. Some portions
of Coldstream Pond, at the north-west corner, lie within the town; and on the eastern line lies Eskulassis Pond,
whose outlet, flowing southward to the Passadumkeag, in the southern part of the town, furnishes five water-powers.
The latter stream also has four falls and descents. The principal powers in town bear the names "Passadumkeag
Rips," "Little Falls," "High Ledge," "Lighting Rips," "Varney's Mills,"
"Porter's grist and saw mill" and "Woodman's Mill." There is also a tannery.
The surface of the town is uneven and in parts broken. There are several considerable hills in the northern part.
The uplands, though stony, are fertile and excellent for grazing. Along the streams are large tracts of meadow-land,
which yield heavy crops of hay. The principal business centre is in the vicinity of Lowell post-office, in in the
south-west part of the town. The European and North-American Railway station at Passadumkeag, about 8 miles west
of Lowell post-office, affords the nearest railroad connection.
Alpheus Hayden and Levi Done were the first settlers, having begun their residence hcre in March, 1819. The lands
of these and other early settlers were purchased of the State. Mary C. Dean (subsequently the wife of Stephen Kimball,
Esq., of Bangor) was the first school teacher, and Rev. Pindar Field, the first minister of the plantation. They
were so highly esteemed that the name of the plantation, which had previously been called "Page's Mills,"
was changed to Deanfield, thus joining the memory of both in a word. The settlement was incorporated February,
1837, under the name of Huntersville. This was changed the next year to Lowell, in honor of the first person born
in town, Lowell Hayden, son of Aipheus, one of the two first settlers. In 1841 a tract called the "Strip,"
lying north of township No. 1, Bingharn's Penobscot purchase, was annexed to Lowell. The settlers of this tract
purchased their lands of the Bingham heirs. In 1842 the Coldstrearn settlement was annexed.
There are considerable numbers of Congregationalist, Baptist and Free Baptist people in the town, who meet with
their brethren in churches in adjoining towns. The number of public schoolhouses in in Lowell is eight; and the
school property of the town is valued at $l,35O. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $72,126. In 1880 it $65,406.
The population in 1870 was 448. In 1880 it was 433.