History of Lovell, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Lovell is situated in the southern part of Oxford County, but north of Fryeburg, and having Stowe between it and the New Hampshire line. On the north-west and north-east it is bounded by Stoneham, east by Waterford, and south-east by Sweden. The area is 24,000 acres. Upper Kezar Pond nearly divides the town into eastern and western parts, being 8 miles long by about 1 broad. The surface of the town is uneven, especially on the eastern side of the Pond, where it is mountainous. Sonic names of the eminences are Amos Mountain, Mount Reho, McDaniel’s Hill, Sebatos Mountain, and Christian and Sheriff hills. Kezar River, the outlet of ponds of that name in Waterford, runs southward through the eastern part of the town to the Saco. At Lovell Village, on this stream, near the southern part of the town, are several mills. There are also mills near the centre on the outlet of a small pond; and at North Lovell there is a stearn-mill, manufacturing spools and long lumber. Other manufactures of the town are shooks, axe-handles and ox-goads, carriages and sleighs, cabnet work and coffins, boots and shoes, harnesses etc. The small centres in Lovell. other than the principal ones already mentioned, are “Slab City,” “Sucker Brook” (the outlet of Horse-shoe Pond), and “Cushman’s Mills,” on the outlet of Andrew’s Pond. The soil in this town is very good, yielding well of all the usual crops. The forests are well diffused, containing many trees of large size. There is much beautiful scenery in the town.

The first settlements here were made in 1777, and bore the name of New Sancook until their incorporation in November 15, 1800. The present name was adopted in honor of John Lovell (Lovewell) the hero of the decisive fight in 1725 against the Pequaket tribe of Indians who occupied this region. The township was granted to the officers and soldiers engaged in that battle and their heirs. Sweden was set off from Lovell in 1813. The names of several of the first settlers are Noah Eastman, Stephen Dresser, John Stearns, Captain John Wood, Oliver Whitney, Joseph and Annias McAllaster, Benjamin Stearns, Josiah Heald, Levi Dresser, John Whiting, Abel Butters and James Kilgrave.

Lovell has two Congregationalist churches, and one each of the Methodists, Universalists, and Christians. The number of public schoolhouses is twelve; and the school property is valued at $3,200. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $305,764. In 1880 it was $305,632. The population in 1870 was 1,018. In 1880 it was 1,077.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York