Lubec embraces the most south-easterly part of Washington
County, of the State of Maine and of the United States; and Quoddy Head is the south-easterly point of all these.
This point is marked by a lighthouse, with a brick tower painted in red and white stripes, the lamp having a flashing,
white light. This town is bounded on the north by Perry and Pembroke, from both of which it is separated by Lubec
Bay and its passages; on the west by Trescott, and on the south and east by the ocean. Campo Bello Island lies
on the east of Lubec, separated only by a narrow passage of the sea, and Grand Menan, on the southeast at a minimum
distance of about 5 miles. Both of these belong to Great Britain. Lubec has a large and admirable harbor, of sufficient
depth for the largest vessels, and is never obstructed by ice, is easy of access, and well protected from rough
seas by points and islands. The principal place of business is at the end of a point of land juttIng into and dividing
the harbor, the situation being very beautiful. The whole eastern shore north of Quoddy Head is thickly settled;
and so also is that part of the interior of the town lying along an arm of the sea, at whose western point is West
There is at this point a good tide-power, which is improved by a saw-mill. The largest power in the town is at
Lubec Mills, where is a tide-power of about 15 feet fall, and a pond of over 100 acres, equal to about 100 horse-power.
This was formerly occupied by plaster-mills. Lubec has two ship-yards, three boat-builders, three sail-makers,
and the other small manufactures common to villages. The Lubec lead mines are situated near the northern part of
the town. The principal business of the inhabitants, is agriculture and fisheries. The town is on the stage-line
from East Macbias, 23 miles distant, and steamboat line from Eastport, 3 miles distant.
The first settlers of Lubec were French people, who came from Nova Scotia in 1758, but after remaining a short
time removed to the upper parts of the St. John River, or to Lower Canada. The permanent settlement of the place
was commenced in 1716 by Col. John Allan and several others, patriot fugitiTes from Cumberland County, Nova Scotia.
It may well be supposed that some Germans also had settled here, since when the town was incorporated it was named
for the good old German city, Lubeck. Louis F. Delesdernier and Nehemiah Small were the first settlers and also
the first traders on “Flagg’s Point,” where Lubec Village now stands; they having come hither from Eastport in
1814, when the British occupied that place.
There was a Congregational church organized here in 1820, under the labors of Rev. Elijah Kellogg. Rev. Andrew
Bigelow was, in 1821, ordained as the first pastor. The churches in the town now consist of one each of the Methodists,
Baptists and the Disciples, and two of the Christians. The number of public schoolhouses is ten. The school property
of the town is valued at $5,100. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $309,406. In 1880 it was $310,818. The population
in 1870 was 2,136. In 1880 it was 2,109.