Machiasport occupies a peninsula on each side of Machias
Bay, at its head, and about mithvay of the southern line of Washington County. This town joins Machias and East
Machias on the nortn, and Whiting on the north-east. Machias Bay bounds it on the east, and Little Kennebec Bay
separates it from Machias on the west. The mouth of Machias River divides the town into two portions. The principal
village and business is at the northern part of the town, though several coves along the eastern shore have small
villages. A railroad for lumber and other freight connects this port with Whitneyville, 8 miles to the north-west.
Machiasport has an excellent harbor, open all the year. There is here some ship-building and boat-building, together
with the block spar and sail making which are necessary adjuncts to shipyards. A marine railroad further supplies
the needs of a seaport. Coasting and the fisheries constitute a large part of the occupation of the inhabitants.
A toll-bridge 600 feet in length connects the town with East Machias.
The soil of this town is largely clay and gravel, but it yields good returns in hay and potatoes, which are the
principal crops. Some considerable hills bear the names of Howard, Hampden, Fletcher and Bald Mountain. Spruce,
fir and birch are the most numerous forest trees; but the village streets are shaded by a variety of native and
foreign origin. In all parts of the town are good roads, and pleasant residences. The town-hall is considered to
be one of the best in the county. On the seashore, between high and low water marks, is an inclined table ot rock
bearing inscriptions to the number of about 150, supposed to be of Indian origin. The figures are cut in the rock,
and resemble chiefly figures of Indians and moose; but there are also plans of streams, figures of a cow, panther,
fox, serpent, Indian medicine man, and Romish priest. The age of these inscriptions is not known, as they were
as much a mystery to the early inhabitants as to those of the present day. Machiasport furnished 35 men to aid
in the preservation of the Union during the late war, losing 14.
The Congregationalists, Baptists and Advents have churches here. The town has a system of graded schools and owns
eight schoolhouses, valued at $6,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $197,221. In 1880 it was $191,248. The
rate of taxation in the latter year was 4 per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,526. In 1880 it was 1,531.