History of Madrid, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Madrid is situated near the middle of Franklin County, being bounded by Mount Abraham township and Salem on the east by Phillips on the south, Sandy River Plantation on the west, and No. 1, of Range 2, on the north. The township is of about the usual size, being nearly square in form. In 1872 it received an addition of territory from Letter E Plantation. The west branch of Sandy River crosses the south-west part, and Perkins Stream, forming the eastern branch, comes down through the south-east part of the town, though having its origin in the north-west and at the north. The Sandy River Falls are an attraaction to all lovers of the beautiful. There are two streams only a few rods apart, and each has a fine cataract. The town is quite uneven, and in the northern portion is quite mountainous. The principal elevations are Saddleback and Spruce Scrabble mountains and Potatoe Hill. The principal business centre is on Sandy River, at the south-western part of the town. The principal manufactures are lumber and carriages. Madrid is some 20 miles northwest from Farmington, the village being about 7 miles from the station of the Sandy River Railroad in Phillips.

The township was formerly owned by Mr. Phillips, but passed into the hands of Jacob Abbot, whose heirs, clown to a recent date and perhaps still, own the unoccupied land. Settlements were commenced in 1807 or 1808 by Abel Cook, David Rose, John Sargent, Lemuel Plummer, Miller Hinckley, Joseph Dunham, Ebenezer Cawkins and Nathaniel Wells. The town was incorporated 1836.

The Free Baptists have a society in the town. Madrid has seven public schoolhouses which, with other school property, are valued at $1,600. The valuation of the town in 1870 was $55,764. In 1880 it was $69,866. The population in 1870 was 394. In 1880 it was 437.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York