Mapleton is a new town situated on the south bank of
the Aroostook River, in Aroostook County. Washburn bounds it on the north, Maysville and Presque Isle on the east,
Chapman Plantation on the south and Castle Hill on the west. The surface is uneven, but without high hills. Sprague
Hill is the highest elevation. The soil is a sandy loam, and quite fertile and easily worked. Potatoes are the
crop chiefly cultivated. There is a starch-factory in the town that consumes 60,000 bushels of these tubers annually.
The machinery is run by a 16 horse-power engine.
The Aroostook River, in passing, cuts off the north-eastern angle of the town; and through the southern part runs,
in a circuitous course, the Presque Isle of the Aroostook. This and two or three of the smaller streams have falls
suitable for carrying machinery. The principal business centre is in the south.western part of the town, at the
junction of Libby Brook with Presque Isle Stream. There is on the latter, near this point, a saw-mill with a rotary
saw, cutting about 10,000 feet per day, aud two shingle machines, making about 20,000 per day. There is also a
potash-factory. The forest trees in this township are chiefly maple and beech.
This town is 47 miles north-west of Houlton, via Presque Isle. It is on the stage-line from Presque Isle to Ashland.
The nearest railroad station is that of the New Brunswick Railway at Fort Fairfield, 15 miles distant. The town
has two cedar bridges, one 273, the other
213 feet in length.
Among the prominent and esteemed citizens may be mentioned Freeman L. Ball, Thomas Griffin, Josiah McLaughlin and
Mapleton was incorporated March, 1880, being named, perhaps, from the tree which is the most numerous in its forests.
The principal religious society in the town is that of the Free Baptists. The number of public schoolhouses is
seven; and the school property, including the school lots, is valued at $1,100. The valuation of estates in 1870
was $28,707. In 1880 it was $51,642. The rate of taxation in the
latter year was 2 per centum. The population in 1870 was 444. In 1880 it was 705.