History of Mariaville, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Mariaville is situated midway of the western side of Hancock County, and at its north- western corner abuts upon the south-eastern corner of Penobscot County. The outline of the town is extremely irregular. Union River passes through the northern part, and forms the boundary line between its southern part and Waltham. The town of Otis lies on the west, and the south-western corner of Mariaville approaches Ellsworth. It is on the stage-line from that place to Aurora. The largest pond in town is Hopkins’s, which has an area of 1 by 2 miles. Eight Pine and Lightly hills, about 75 feet in height, are the chief eminences. The soil is clayey, and there are many good farms with tastily arranged farm buildings. The roads are expensive on account of the numerous bridges required. There are one or two mills in town, and a large tannery for sole-leather. The latter employs ten hands, and consumes from 1,500 to 2,000 cords of bark annually.

Mariaville was first occupied in 1802. The names of the pioneer settlers are Mr. Fabrick, Seth Alcott, B. and D. Eppes, James Hapworth and Elisha Goodwin. On its incorporation as a town, it received the name of Mariaville in honor of Maria, a daughter of Mr. Bingham, who owned an extensive tract of land in this vicinity. It had previously been called Bingham. For years all “up river” was known as Mariaville; but the town has been reduced to its present unshapely outlines by the taking off of Aurora, Amherst and Waltham.

There is one church-edifice in the town, belonging to the Baptists. Mariaville has four public schoolhouses, and the school property is valued at $700. The valuation of the town in 1870 was $65,742. In 1880 it was $81,804. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 2 cents on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 369. In 1880 it was 382.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York