History of Marshfield, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Marshfield, in Washington County, lies between East Machias on the east and Whitneyville and Machias, on the west. Northfleld bounds it on the north, and about its southern point lie Machias and East Machias, from the former of which it is separated by Macbias River and Marslifield Stream. The town is small in area, but pleasaiitly situated. It is quite uneven, but the highest elevation, Longfellow’s Hill, has a height of only 300 feet, and the next, Waterhouse Hill, about 250 feet. The predominant rock is granite. The soil is a clay loam. It yields well in hay and potatoes, the crops principally cultivated. The largest water course is Marshfield Stream, or Middle River; on which there are eight powers between the tide and Longfellow’s Lake, a distance of about two miles. This stream is the outlet of four ponds, all lying within the town, the largest being about a mile in length. There are on these powers a saw-mill, a lath-mill, and a grain-mill that in 1879 ground 56,000 bushels of corn. There are also a carding-mill and a factory for canning blueberries. There is some shipbuilding here, mostly of coasting vessels. The people are, however, mainly engaged in agriculture. The town sent 23 men to aid in the war for the preservation of the Union, losing 9.

Marshfield was formerly the northern part of Machias, from which it was set off and incorporated June 30, 1846. The village is on the principal falls of the Marshfield Stream, a short distance above its junction with the Macbias River. Machias is the nearest post-office. There is a Congregational society in the town, but most of the church-goers attend meeting in Machias. Marshfield has two schoolhouses, the school property altogether being valued at $500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $71,356. In 1880 it was $62,669. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 14 mills on a dollar. The population in 1870 was 350. In 1880 it was 300.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York