Mattawamkeag, in Penobscot County, lies upon the eastern
bank of the Penobscot River, and adjoins the south-western corner of Aroostook County. Kingman bounds it on the
east, Web. ster Plantation and Winn on the south, and Woodville on the west, but separated from it by Penobscot
River. The town is on the European and North American Railway, 58 miles N.N.E. of Bangor. The stage-line to Patten
starts from here. The surface of the town is uneven, but without high hills. Granitic and slate-colored, unlaminate
rocks form the pan and outcrop, where observed. The soil is diluvial, being largely gravel and clay, but is quite
fertile. Much attention is given to stock-raising. The crops chiefly cultivated are hay, grain and potatoes. A
great variety of trees are found in the forests.
The Mattawamkeag River enters the Penobscot from the east through this town in the southern part. Its tributary,
the Molunkus, has its course in the town for a short distance near the north-east corner. The Mattaceunk Stream
makes a curve from a south to a west course in the north-western part of the town, where it enters the Penobscot.
The “Gordon Falls” extend for a considerable distance along the Mattawamkeag, which, at this point, crosses the
southern line of the town from different times. On this stream are a board, shingle, and lath mill, with Planer.
There are other manufactures common to country villages. The principal centre of business is near the mouth of
the Mattawainkeag at the station on the European and American Railway, which here turns to eastward along the north
bank of the river. The road has repair-shops at this place.
The town-hall is a neat, two-story, wooden building, having a school-room and dining-hall on the first floor. The
Indians tell of a village and burial-place of their own on the north bank of the Mattawamkeag, near the present
village; and some stone-axes, arrow-heads and other relics have been found there.
One of the first settlers here was Asa Smith, still one of the most prominent men of the town. This town sent 30
soldiers to the defence of the Union in the Rebellion, losing 7 of them. The Methodists have a church here, recently
finished. The number of public schoolhouses is three. The entire school property is valued at $1,200. The valuation
of estates in 1870 was $76,779. In 1880 it was $77,768. The rate of taxation the latter year was 24 mills on the
dollar. The population in 1870 was 356. In 1880 it was 456.