Medford is one of the two extreme south-eastern towns
of Piscataquis County. It has an un incorporated township on the north, Milo on the west. Maxfield on the east,
and La Grange on the south, both the latter being in Penobscot County. The Piscataquis River passes through the
midst of the town. Where the Schoodic stream falls into the Piscataquis, General Boyd, in 1820, erected the largest
saw-mill then upon the Penobscot or any of its branches. In 1832 it was taken down, and another was built, and
taken down; but still another was erected on this side. In 1835 a saw and a grist-mill were built on Cold Brook,
which flows into the Piscataquis from the south; and around these the village of Medford has sprung up.
The settlement of the township preceded any grant. James Grover with his family, as early as 1808, dwelt on the
south bank of the Piscataquis near the upper ferry; a Mr. Boobar followed; and later came a Mr. Weston and two
Hitchborns from Bangor. About 1820, the state opened the Bennock road from Piscataquis River to Oldtown.
This township was No. 2, Range 7, and contains 20,625 acres. In 1816 the western half was granted to David Gilmore
for making the Dixmont road; the eastern half was the same year sold to General J. P. Boyd. The township was incorporated
in 1824, and, at the instance of General Boyd, received the name of Kilmarnock. In 1856, on the petition of the
inhabitants, it was re-named as at present.
Medford is 0fl the stage-line from Milo depot to Enfield. Stores were open in the township at an early date of
its settlement, but only one or two is at present sustained. all the lands reserved for public uses in the town
are for the benefit of the schools. Medford has six schoolhouses valued at $1,250. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $60,321. In 1880 it was $52,885. The population in 1870 was 294 In 1880 it was 398.