History of Mexico, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Mexico, in the eastern part of Oxford County, is bounded on the east by Dixfield, south by Peru, west by Rumford, and north by Roxbury, and Carthage in Franklin County. The town is somewhat of the diamond form, its largest axis being about 8 ¼ miles by 5 miles for the shorter axis. The surface is agreeably varied with meadow and upland, with four considerable elevations. Three are set around the middle of the town, and bear the names of Thompson, Porter and Maun hills. The Androscoggin River forms the line on the south boundary, Webb’s River on the east, and Swift River, coming down from the north, crosses and recrosses the western line. The rock is mainly granite. The forests still show a noble growth of birch, beech, maple, pine, spruce and hemlock. Along the rivers the soil is a sandy loam, with red loam on the uplands. Corn, potatoes, wheat, hops, and other crops are cultivated successfully, the last being probably the largest crop sold directly.

Swift River has a fall of 50 feet in half a mile in this town. The manufactures are at the southern angle of the town. There are here a steam-mill (comprises a shingle, lath, board and grist mill), a toothpick, a cheese, and a carriage factory. Mexico lies about 30 miles north of Paris. It is on the stage-line from Bryant’s Pond on Grand Trunk Railroad to Dixfield and Byron. The nearest railroad station is that of the Buckfield and Rumford Falls railroad at Canton, about 10 miles distant. The post-offices are Mexico and Dixfield, the first in the western part of the town, the second just across the river at the south.

Hon. Charles W. Walton, a judge of the Supreme Court of the State, was formerly a resident of this town. Counting re-enlistments, 83 men were furnished by Mexico for the defence of the Union during the war of the Rebellion.

This town was incorporated Feb. 13, 1818. As a plantation it was called Holmanstown. There is a Universalist society in the town, which sustains services. The number of schoolhouses is five, valued with land at $1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $92,539. In 1880 it was $105,618. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2 per cent. The population in 1870 was 458. In 1880 it was 403.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York