History of Milford, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Milford, in Penobscot County, is situated on the east
bank of the Pen obscot River, 13 miles N.N.E. of Bangor. It is bounded on the north by Greenbush, east by Greenfield,
south by Bradley, and west by Oldtown. From the latter it is separated by Penobscot River. The Oldtown Falls, on
this river, “the best water-power in the United States,” extends between these two towns. Milford was incorporated
in 1833, taking its name from the mills on these falls. The surface of the town is generally level and swampy.
It is drained by the Sunkhaze Stream with its numerous branches, and the Otter Chain Ponds and their outlet. The
population is principally distributed along the Penobscot. The village is very pleasantly situated at a point opposite
the lower end of Indian, or Oldtown, Island. There are in the town at this point six saw-mills manufacturing long
lumber, shingles, etc. The attractiveness of the village is enhanced by the numerous elm trees set along the streets
some thirty years since by some public spirited hands. The underiying and outcropping rocks are granite and slate.
The soil is of sandy and gravelly loam. The principal crops are hay and potatoes. The forests are of an unusually
dark color, consisting almost exclusively of pine, spruce and hemlock. The condition of the public roads is quite
good. A bridge across the river here is 1,000 feet in length.