History of Millbridge, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Millbridge, in Washington County, is situated on Narra guagus River and Bay, 30 miles W.S.W. of Machias. It is bounded by Cherryfield on the north, Harrington on the east, Narraguagus Bay on the south, and Steuben on the west. Narraguagus River separates it from the latter, while a smaller stream forms the boundary line on the east. Cherryfield, the adjoining town up the river, has lumber and other mills, while Millbridge is its seaport. The village is at the mouth of the river, at the head of navigation. Lumber is brought down to this point from the mills at Cherryfield in rafts. There are here three ship-yards, two boat-builders, sail and spar makers, a tinsmith, and other small manufactures necessary to ship-yards or common to villages. There is also a factory for canning lobsters. The inhabitants are largely engaged in fishing and coasting, as well as ship. build ing and farming.

This town was formed from parts of Harrington, Steuben and Cherryfield, and incorporated in 1848. It has a Methodist and a Christian church, and nine public schoolhouses. The school property is valued at $3,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $209,747. In 1880 it was $304,779. The population in 1870 was 1,558. In 1880 it was 1,802.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York