Milo is situated in the south-eastern part of Piscataquis
County, 13 miles north-east of Dover, and 40 miles from Bangor. The Piscataquis River and the Bangor and Piseataquis
Railway run through the town east and west. Pleasant River from the north, and Sebec River from the north-west
form a junction with the Piscataquis in the midst of the town. The last furnishes the power at Milo Village for
grist, saw, shingle and spool-block mills, and a small woolen-factory. Considerable slate rock crops out along
the strearn. The surface of the town is agreeably diversified by bill and dale, and the soil is generally fertile.
Milo maintains a flourishing cheese factory.
The town was township No. 3, Range 7, and has an area of 21,920 acres. Mr. Jonathan Hastings early purchased the
township from the State, and a Mr. Wells, of Boston, became his partner. These conveyed the greater part to the
settlers, and sold the balance to Russell Kittredge. A Mr. Snow, of Belgrade, having been pleased with the fertile
intervals when roamong through the region as a hunter, sent his two sons, Moses and Stephen, just attained to manhood
to dwell in this goodly land. They selected their lots in 1801 (probably) near the present bridge on Pleasant River.
Mr. Benjamin Sargent, from Methuen, Mass., selected a lot on Piscataquis River, near the ferry, at the same time.
All felled their first openings in 1802. Mr. Sargent was the first to bring in his family, which was done in 1803.
The inhabitants were organized as Plantation No 3 sometime prior to 1820; and in 1823, it was incorporated as the
town of Milo. The warrant for the first meeting was issued by Lemuel Shepley to Theophilus Sargent. At this meeting
Luther Keene was chosen townclerk. Mr. Elisha Johnson, the last of the twenty-eight voters present, died in 1878,
aged above eighty years. Not far from the date of this incorporation, Captain W. A. Sweat built the dam across
Sebec River, at the present village, and erected the first saw and grist-mill in town. Not long after this, Mr.
Thomas White put in a fulling-mill and carding machine. A large amount of freight from Brownville slate-quarries
and Katahdin iron-works are delivered at the Milo railway station.
Among the prominent men of the town in addition to those already mentioned have been J. F. Califf, Ezra Kimball,
Chester Huckins, S. B. Sprague, G. B. Crane and Hannibal Hamblin physicians; J. B. Everett, C. A. Everett, J. H.
Macomber, jun., William P. Young, and M. L. Durgin, Jr., lawyers; the last two still remaining. The Baptists, Methodists,
Free Baptists, Universalists and Advents each have an organization in town. Milo has a school fund of $1,300 arising
from the sale of the reserved lots, and nine public schoolhouses, valued at $2,300. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $161,855; in 1880, $203,438. The population in 1870 was 930. In 1880 it was 934.