History of Moscow, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Betsey S. Webber



Moscow, in Somerset County, is situated on the eastern
bank of Kennebec River, 25 miles N.N.W. of Skowhegan, on the
stage-line to the Forks of the Kennebec. It is bounded on the north
by Caratunk, east by Mayfield, south by Bingham and west by
Pleasant Ridge Plantation. It is separated from the last by the river.
The surface is very hilly. Dresser Hill is the most extensive elevation
in horizontal area; Baker Mountain is probably the highest, and Bab-
bitt Ridge is next to these. Chase, Little Chase and Minx ponds lie
in the northern part. Others are found at the south-east corner, and
along near the river are several smaller. Austin Stream is the princi-
pal water course, and into it discharge Chase and Gulf streams, Minx
and other brooks. Near the eastern line of the town are “Austin
Falls,” on the stream of that name, having a descent of 100 feet in half
a mile. On these were formerly saw, shingle, clapboard and planning
mills, which were burnt a few years since. Other powers and mills are
Temple's Mills and Temple's Wagon Works, on a brook empty-
ing into the Kennebec River; Bassett's Shingle Mill, on the east
branch of Chase Stream; Chase Mill on the same stream, near the
Centre of the town; “Great Falls,” below, where the stream descends
30 feet; and on Carney's Brook is Carney's saw-mill. In all there are
19 available powers. The rock in general through the town is a hard
slate, having in many places, veins of quartz yielding small quantities
of gold. Three-fourths of the territory is still covered with heavy
forest. The soil is good, yielding well in grain and other staple pro-
ducts of the region. Bingham is a post-office for the town.

This township was a part of Bingham's Kennebec Purchase. Ac-
cording to Williamson, it was settled as early as 1773. The land was
surveyed and lotted in 1812, at which time the inhabitants petitioned
for incorporation under the name of Northfield. The plantation became
somewhat known as Bakerstown, from the number of persons of the
name of Baker among the inhabitants, though the original Bakerstown
was in Androscoggin County. The act of incorporation was not passed
until 1816; and the present name had taken the place of the one pro-
posed in commemoration of the event at the Russian city of that name
in the year the petition was made.

A Baptist church was established in the town in 1812. The Free
Baptist is now the principal religious society in town. The public
schoolhouses number seven; and the entire school property is valued
at $1,800. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $91,386. In 1880
it was $95,142. The population in 1870 was 528. In 1880 it was 522.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter