History of New Vineyard, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

New Vineyard is situated in the eastern part of Franklin County, having Strong on the west and the latter and Freeman on the north-west, Industry on the south-east, the latter and Farmington on the south, Industry and Anson in Somerset County on the east and Strong, Freeman and New Portland in Somerset County on the north. The town has a remarkable outline. There are two right-angled notches on the north-western side and three on the south-eastern. There are also nine projecting right-angles. A range of mountains crosses the town from south-west to north-east, dividing the waters of Sandy River from those of the Carrabasset River on the north. There are no less than nine peaks in the town and on its borders, of which Herriek mountain is probably the highest. The scenery in some parts is strikingly beautiful. Porter's Pond, lying on the middle border and partly in Strong, is the principal sheet of water. The streams are Porter's and Barker brooks, and Hillman, Fairbank's and McLeny mill streams. The rocks are granite boulders, ni out-cropping and underlying limestone. The soil is generally good, especially in the northerly and easterly sections. New Vineyard Village (formerly known as: Vaughn's Mills) near the middle of the town, is the principal business centre. New Vineyard has two saw-mills, and a grist-mill carried by. water-power, and a spool-mill by steam-power. The manufactures are salt-boxes, shovel-handles, dowels, brush blocks, spools, carriages, shingles, clapboards, flour and meal, boots and shoes, brooms, etc. New Vineyard is 10 miles from Farrnington, on the stage-line to Kingfield, East New Vineyard is the other post-office.

New Vineyard township was purchased from Massachusetts by an association of persons belonging in Martha's Vineyard, Mass., together. with Jonathan Knowlton of Farmington, who acted as their agent; hence the plantation took the name, "New Vineyard," from the first. Daniel Collins and Abner Norton, having previously commenced improvements, moved in with their families in 1791, thus becoming the first settlers. These were soon followed by Samuel Daggett, Jonathan Merry, James Manter, Ephrairn Butler, John Spencer, Cornelius Norton, David Davis, John Daggett, Benjamin Benson, Joseph Smith, Henry Butler, Herbert Boardman, Charles Luce, Henry Norton, William Farrand, Seth Hilman, Ezra Winslow and Calvin Burden. Settlements were soon after commenced north of the mountains by people mostly from Middleboro, Mass. Among these occur the names of George, Eleazer, Paul arid Remiah Pratt, Elias Bryant, Simeon Hackett, Jabez Vaughn and Cephaniah Morton.

The town was incorporated in 1802. There are churches of the Congregationalists, Methodists and Free Baptists in the town. New Vineyard has ten public schoolhouses, valued with other school property, at $2,000. The estates in 1870 were valued at $228,812. In 1880 they were valued at $202,867. The population in 1870 was 755. In 1880 it was 627.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York