Newburg lies on the southern border of Penobscot County,
15 miles west-south-west of Bangor. Carmel bounds it on the north, Hampden on the east, Dixmont on the west, and
Winterport and Monroe in Waldo County on the south. The surface of the town is broken and hilly in parts, with
some meadow. The soil is various, being clay in some portions and sandy or slaty in others. The principal crops
are hay and potatoes. Apple orchards have also been cukivated with success. The forest-trees are chiefly beech,
maple, hemlock and spruce.
The town is drained by the Soadabscook and its tributary streams. There are two saw-mills, two cheese factories,
a carriage factory, etc. The occupation is chiefly agricultural, and much attention is given to cattle raising.
The nearest railroad connections are at the stations of the Maine Central Railroad in Carmel and Hermon, adjoining
towns. The post-offices are Newburg, at the north-east corner, North, Centre, South, and Newburg villages.
This town is embraced within the limits of the Waldo patent, and was sold by Gen. Henry Knox (who inherited much
of the patent) to Benjamin Bussey, who continued to be the owner of all the unoccupied land until his death. He
held the land at so high a price that settlers came in slowly; but after his demise more favorable terms were offered
and the settlement since then has a rapid growth. Among the original inhabitants we have the names of Freeman Luce,
Edward Snow, Levi Mudgett, James Morrison, Abel Hardy, Thomas Morrill, Ezekiel Smith, George Bickford and Daniel
Piper, who arrived about the year 1794.
The Free Baptists, Methodists, Baptists and Christian Baptists have societies in the town, and there is a Union
edifice for religious meetings.
Newburg usually sustains three high schools at different quartcrs of the town during the fall and winter months.
The number of public schoolhouses is ten; and the value of the school property is estimated at $2,500. The valuation
of estates in 1870 was $237,964. In 1880 it was $275,102. The rate of taxation in the latter year was *18.60 on
one thousand. The population in 1870 was 1,115. In 1880 it was 1,057.