Nobleborough is situated near the centre of Lincoln
County on the eastern shore of Damariscotta Lake. Waldoboro' bounds it on the east, Jefferson on the north and
west, Newcastle on the west of the southern part, and Damariscotta on the south. The area is about ten thousand
acres. Damariscotta Lake extends along the whole western side of the town, and a broad area of the lake, called
Muscingus Bay, penetrates to the centre. From the head of this bay a canal, excavted many years ago, extends southward
for nearly 2 miles. A section of Pemaquid Pond extends from the south-east corner nearly 2 miles toward the centre
of town. On the eastern line is Duck Puddle Pond, and in the north-eastern corner is Cook's Pond.
The soil of the town is favorable to agriculture, in which pussuit the inhabitants are chiefly engaged. The centres
of business are Nobleborough and Damariscotta Mills. There is a station of the Knox and Lincoln railroad in each
place. The distance from Bath is about 22 miles. The manufactures consist of lumber, boots and shoes, organs, etc.
There is a saw-mill at each village.
Nobleborough originally formed part of the possession of Elbridge and Aldsworth, under the Pemaquid patent. It
was settled at about the same date as Damariscotta, viz., about 1640. This territory was a favorite resort of the
Indians for hunting and fishing; and they held possession here with great tenacity, remaining in solitary families
long after the white man, whose advance they vainly resisted, had commenced their settlements in the town. After
the Indian wars closed, the inhabitants were involved for many years in a harassing controversy about the title
to their lands, which was not settled until 1814. The territory was claimed under the Brown right, which had its
origin in a deed from Capt. John SOmerset (known to us as "Somerset") and Unnongoit, Indian sagamores.
ITs southerly boundary ran from Pemaquid Falls to Brown's house, on the eastern shore; and from this line extended
northerly for 25 miles, including Muscongus Island, and Jefferson, and part of the town of Newcastle. Brown in
August 1660, conveyed to one Gould and his wife eight miles square, about midway of the original grant. A survey
was made at a later period of the different claims; and William Vaughan, and later, James Noble, claimants under
this right, improved all the lands lying on both sides of the Damariscotta Fresh Pond, to the head of it; also
on the west side of the river half-way to Sheepscot, and on the easterly side half-way to "Pemaquid Pond".
Vaughan either commenced or revived the settlement under Colonel Dunbar about 1730; but the growth was slow, as
it appears that at the beginning og the Revolution, there were only 30 men here capable of bearing arms. James
Noble, who had married the widow of Vaughan, pursued the claim until 1765, when he and his coadjutors were dispossessed,
though they did not then wholy abandon their claim. The town was incorporated in 1788, being named for a son of
the proprietor, Colonel Arthur Noble,who was killed in a battle with the French at Midas, Nova Scotia in 1747.
It included Damariscotta until 1847, when the latter was set off.
Rev. Adoniram Judson, father of the noted missionary of the same name, was settled over the Baptist church in Nobleborough
in 1819. The Baptist denomination still preponderates in the town, having three churches, and the Methodists one.
There are twelve public schoolhouses in Nobleborough, these with other school property being valued at $6,500.
THe valuation of real estate in 1870 was $287,867. In 1880, it was $239,295. Tht population in 1870 was 1,150.
In 1880, it was 1.142.