North Yarmouth is situated a little east of the centre
of Cumberland County, 14 miles N.N.E. of Portland. On the east is Pownal; Yarmouth and Cumberland bound it on the
south, the latter and Gray on the west and north-west, New Gloucester and Pownall on the north. The form of the
town is nearly square. The surface is, without much unevenness. Walnut Hill, in the western part of the town, is
the greatest elevation, and Little Walnut, about a mile to the east, is the next in height. The village called
Walnut Hill begins between them, extending southward. Royals River runs through the town nearly north and south.
On the eastern side of the river the Grand Trunk Railway and on the west the Maine Central Railway cross the town
in the same general direction. The latter has a station at Walnut Hill, where is the largest collection of houses
in town; nnd the Grand Trunk has a station at East-North Yarmouth, whence stages run daily to Pownall and Durham.
The principal manufactures of the town are lumber, carriages, flour and meal. The land is of good quality, and
agriculture is the almost exclusive business of the people. The region of Royal’s River was called Wescustego by
the Indians, this being also their name for the river itself. The territory of the present town was included in
a grant made to Joseph Phippon and others in 1680, which extended from the sea five miles up the river, and seven
and a half miles on each side. In the same year, the waste land between this grant and Falmouth, and also Damariscove
Island, were included in the act of incorporation under the name of North Yarmouth. A large part of Harpswefl Neck
with Mare Point and intervening land was held to be within the corporated limits many years. Four towns have since
been taken from this territory, viz.: Freeport in 1789, Pownal in 1808, Cumberland in 1821, and Yarmouth in 1849.
John Mare, mentioned as an early settler of North Yarmouth, located on the point which has since borne his name,
now included in Brunswick. William Royal came over from England about 1630, and in 1643 purchased of Gorges a tract
on the Wescustego River, subsequently called Royal’s River. The history of Yarmouth includes that of North Yarmouth
until the separation in 1849.
The town has a Congregationalist and a Methodist church. There are seven public schoolhouses in the town, valued
at $3,300. The valuation of estates for 1870 was $523,086; in 1880, $372,510. The population in 1870 was 940. In
the census of 1880 it was 828.