History of Otis, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Otis is situated on the western side of Hancock County, being bounded on the north by Penobscot County, and on the South by Ellsworth. It is on the stage line from Bangor to Mariaville, which adjoins it on the east. The principal sheets of water are Beech Hill, Flood, Springy and Mountain ponds, emptying into Union River, or some of its branches. Of these, Flood’s Pond covers one square mile; Beech Hill Pond, 1.85 square miles; and Mountain Pond, 1.25 square miles. At Reinick’s Falls, at the foot of Flood’s Pond, and also at the south part of the town, are saw-mills. The prevailing rock is mica-schist interstratified by an impure limestone. On the side next Mariaville the rock is a hard talcose slate and a kind of sandstone in alternate layers, placed perpendicularly. There is a cave in Oak Hill on the west side of Beech Hill Pond, which is 12 reet under ground, with rooms 7 feet by 10 feet. Ice and snow have been found in it on the 4th of July, by which it has gotten its name of the “Cold Cellar.” The soil, as a whole, is productive when cultivated; but much attention is given to lumbering.

Otis was first occupied in 1805. It was incorporated in 1835, being named in honor of a proprietor. The first settlers were Isaac Frazier, N. M. Jellison, James Gilpatrick, and Allen Milliken. Otis furnished 35 men to the Union cause in the war af the Rebellion.

The Free Baptists have a church, and a settled minister in the town. Otis has three public schoolhouses, valued at $400. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $26,407. In 1880 it was $34,725. The population in 1870 was 246. In 1880 it was 304.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York