History of Parkman, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Parkman is situated in the south-western part of Piscataquis County, 12 miles west of Dover, and 4 miles from the Bangor and Pis.. cataquis Railway station in Abbot. The latter town lies out he north; on the east is Sangerville; on the west Wellington; and on the south, Cambridge, in Somerset County. It has an area of 25,000 acres; and. a large proportion of it is excellent for farming purposes. Watsonís Hill is the greatest elevation of land. Bennett and Harlow Ponds are the principal bodies of water. There are several saw-mills and a grist mill in the town. At Parkman Corner there are several mechanic shops, four stores and one hotel.

The township was early purchased by Samuel Parkman, Esq., of Boston. The first settlers were Peter and William Cummings, Ephraim Andrews, Arvida Briggs, William Brewster, and Richard Caswell. Samuel Pingree also early moved in and became the proprietorís agent. He settled near the centre of the town where be put a saw and grist mill in operation. Mr. Pingree was a hatter by trade, and made the first hats produced in the county. Edward Soule, from Freeport, was one of the earlier settlers. In the war of 1812 he was three times taken prisoner by different British cruisers, and the last time was confined for fourteen months in the famous Dartmoor prison, only to be compared with Libby and Andersonville.

The preaching of Rev. Zenas Hall, in 1818, led to the organization of a Baptist church in the town.

The township bore the name of Plantation Number Five, Sixth Range until 1822, when it was incorporated as the town of Parkman. The first store in town was opened at the Corner about 1827 by Thomas Seabury. The first physician was Dr. Nicholas Jumper, who, about 1834, was succeeded by Dr. A. J. W. Stevens, who died in 1875. Besides attending to his practice, Dr. Stevens represented the town in the legislature, and was an able temperance lecturer. Dr. George Parkman, after his fatherís death, succeeded to his lands in this town; and previous to his own tragical death, visited the place annually. The Baptist and the Christian denomination have each a church-edifice in the town. Parkman has fifteen public schoolhouses valued at $4,5O0. The valuation of all estates in 1870 was $259,304. The rate of taxation in 1880 was about two per cent. The population in 1870 was 1,105. By the census of 1880 it is 1,005. The valuation in 1880 was $249,211.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York