History of Plantation of Carrying Place, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Betsey S. Webber

Plantation of Carrying Place, in Somerset
County, lies west of the Kennebec, between that river and the southward
bend of Dead River. It is a noted carrying-place on the route to or
from Canada, by which the passage of Dead and Kennebec rivers is
shortened. Three of the ponds in the township lie in the line of the
carry and reduce the land travel. The place has been made famous
by the passage of Arnold's expedition against Canada over this route
in 1775. It is 40 miles from Skowhegan, on the Canada road and
stage road from Skowhegan to Quebec. In the north-east and south-
west are high hills. The western range is called “Carrying Place
Mountains.” Granite is found on Carrying Pond Stream in the south-
ern part of the township. The soil is a deep, dark loam. Hay and
oats are the chief crops. The business is farming and lumbering.
Gold is found in small quantities in Pierce Pond Stream in the north-
ern part of the township. The nearest post-office is Carratunk Planta-
tion. Carrying Place Plantation sustains a public school in summer
and winter. The Plantation was organized in 1871. It sent 12 men
to the aid of the Union cause in the war of the Rebellion. It was
formerly No. 1, Range 3, west of Kennebec River. The valuation of
estates at the date of organization was $15,000. In 1880 it was $9,980.
The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2 per cent. The population
in 1880 was given in the preliminary report of the census with that of
the plantations of Pleasant Ridge, Forks and Moxie, -- altogether 981.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter