History of Plymouth, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886





Plymouth lies at the south-western angle of Penobscot County, 20 miles west of Bangor. It is bounded on the north by Newport, east by Etna, south by Dixmont, and by Troy in Waldo County, and west by Detroit in Somerset County. The space southwest of the centre of the town is pretty much occupied by Plymouth and Little ponds, which also receives the waters of a pond in Dixmont, and discharge through Martin Stream into the Sebasticook in the northwest part of the town. On this stream are five powers, all improved except one. The principal falls are at Plymouth Village, near the centre of the town. The manufactures consist of cloth, lumber, furniture, carriages, fumigators, leather, etc. The basin of the ponds which supply these powers is about one half covered by forest. The area of the reservoirs is at present some 1,800 acres. The height of dams might easily be so increased that from this storage the gross power of the series of falls, at 15 feet each, would be 486 horse-power, or 19,440 spindles for 10 hours a day, 312 days in the year. The storage could be used in six months or less, and the natural run would suffice for the rest of the year, doubling or trebling the power. As it is, the stream is very uniform on account of reservoirs. The stream at the falls runs over compact lodges.

Plymouth was incorporated in 1826. It has Baptist and Methodist churches. There are eight or ten stores and two hotels. The number of public schoolhouses is nine; and the school property is valued at $3,600. The valuation of real estate in 1870 was $188,350. In 1880 it was $183,193. The population in 1870 was 941. In 1880 it was 828.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York