History of Princeton, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Princeton lies in the eastern part of Washington County, about midway of its length. It is bounded on the north by Indian Township, east by Baileyville, south by Alexandra, and west by No. 21. Shining Lake occupies a large proportion of the south-western part of the town. Big Lake and its outlet, the west branch of St. Croix River form the northern boundary line. On this stream, at the foot of the lakes, lies Princeton Village, the terminus of the St. Croix and Penobscot railroad. A stage-line to Forest Station connects with the European and North American railway and Lake Navigation’ route from Grand Lake Stream. There are here a large tannery, a woolen mill, two gang saw-mills, shingle-mills and a grist-mill. There are also other small manufactures usually carried on in villages.. The chain of lakes which terminate at this point extends some 30 miles north-westerly toward the Penobscot River. When clear of ice they are navigable to the remotest point. A heavy and valuable growth of soft timber still borders their shores, though immense quantities have been cut annually for many years. There is a fish-hatching establishment on Grand Lake Stream, and another on Sysladobsis Lake.

Princeton is 44 miles north of Machias, and 20 from Calais. It was formerly Township No. 17, eastern division of Bingharn’s purchase. The first settlements in this town were made in 1815, and on Feb. 3, 1832, it was incorporated. The religious societies are Congregationalist and Baptist. There are five public schoolhouses in the town, valued, with other school property, at $4,500. The population in 1870 was 1,072. In 1880 it was 1,038. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $180,507. In 1880 it was $176,518.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York