Historical Sketch of Richmond, Maine
From
Leading Business Men of
LEWISTON, AUGUSTA and VICINITY

BOSTON
MERCANTILE PUBLISHING COMPANY
1889



. Maine Marriages to 1875 .


Richmond, Maine

OF the numerous and beautiful towns and cities along the banks of the great Kennebee, the progressive and delightful town of Richmond is worthy of special mention in many respects. Richmond was one of the earliest places settled in Maine, and in the Kennebec valley; as early as 1649, Christopher Lawson bought this whole region from the Indians for a mere song, and in 1651 he sold it again to Messrs. Clark & Lake who settled here about the same time Gardiner was being settled. During the French and Indian wars in the early part of the eighteenth century, Richmond was one of the most important points strategically on the whole frontier. Fort Richmond was built in 1719 and 1720, and up to the close of the wars it was the defensive center and place of refuge for this whole central section of the Kennebec valley. It was twice attacked by the Indians, once in 1722, and again in 1750, and successfully repelled them each time. After the cessation of the French and Indian wars it enjoyed comparative quiet and steady growth up to the time of the Revolution, when military matters again held full sway. After the Revolution, in which it joined with entire devotion and patriotism, it again continued to grow steadily up to the first decade of the present century, when for a time, and until the influence of the war of 1812 had been largely recovered from, a depression in the growth of the town intervened; but as the larger business in the river, especially through the introduction of the steamboat in the third and following decades of the century, developed its industries, Richmond again felt the spirit of growth and progresse4 rapidly for a time. At the time of the Civil War it had reached nearly its present extent, and it entered into that struggle with its old time enthusiasm and devotion. It spared neither men nor money, and all contributed to the advance of the national cause. Its soldiers enlisted mainly in the 11th, 14th, 15th, 24th, 28th and 29th regiments, and performed gallant service in the great campaigns throughout the war. The town has worthily commemorated the great memories of those who died in the war. Since the war the progress of the town, though interrupted by the vari ous panics of the last two decades, has been in the main steady and increasing. The

Richmond is so situated that it has a powerful supply of water privileges, both on the Kennebec and Mill Brook, and is enabled to offer great advantages to manufactories and mills. The Richmond Mineral Springs are also well known, and are much resorted to.

In its internal character and government Richmond is one of the most advanced of Maine towns. The local offices and all public matters are executed with great care and efficiency. Great attention has been paid to education, and its fine schools are widely known. It also has a fine public library of well-assorted books, containing about three thousand volumes. The sanitary and hygienic status of the town is of a high order. The climate is healthful and disease is at a minimum. All matters bearing on the public health receive the promptest and strictest attention. The religious interests of the town are also active and progressive in every good work. The churches represent all the leading denominations, and are well supported. All philanthropical works receive the generous and earnest co-operation of the people. The town is noted for its liberality and broad spirit. The business interests of the town are now progressing favorably. As the great advantages oflered here become better Richmond Academy, a well-known institution was incorporated in 1861. In 1870, the population was 2,442 and the valuation $1,242,040; in 1880, the population was 2,658, and the valuation $1,221,354. At the present time the population has increased to about 3,000, and the town gives every promise of yet greater advances in the immediate future. known we can not doubt that the manufacturing and commercial interests will expand here and rapidly develop the rich resources of the town. To the careful foresight and strenuous exertions of its business, the town in the past has owed the largest part of its advance, and n the continuation of the same spirit of honor and enterprise is its greatest promise, and the assurance of indefinite and well-earned growth in prosperity and fame.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York