History of Robbinston, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Robbinston lies on St. Croix River in the south-eastern part of Washington County. Calais bounds it on the north, Perry on the south and Charlotte on the west. The area is 17,800 acres. The surface of the town is quite level, but rising by a gradual slope from the river. Boyden Lake extends into the south-western part; in the northern and central parts are West Magurrewock Lake and the smaller sheets of Randís, Goulding, Western and Eastern lakes. The outlets of these supply power for several mills. The manufactures of this town are long and short lumber, wedges, laraquins, leather and moccasins, carriages, and canned fish of various kinds. For many years Robbinston was the centre of trade for the neighboring towns. Ship-building was formerly largely carried on here, while the ports of Europe furnished ready market for this product but since the introduction of steam vessels the business has declined. The attention has now been turned more to food products. Potatoes, from the shortness of the season, mostly escape the diseases incident to longer seasons, and posses rare excellence, and accordingly are largely raised and eagerly sought for. The principal villages are Robbinston and South Robbinston. This town lies on Calais and Eastport stage-line. It is 35 miles north-east of Machias. Opposite, on the eastern side of the St. Croix is St. Andrews, a considerable port and village in the British Dominions.

Robbinston was granted by Massachusetts, October 21, 1786, to Edwird H. and Nathaniel J. Robbins, in honor of whom the town was named. Two families were already settled in the township when the grant was made. The proprietors soon made clearings and erected a store-house and other buildings; and settlers came rapidly. It is said by Williamson that a post-office was established here as early as 1796, and that the first mail came through in September in that year. In 1810, the inhabitants petitioned for incorporation as a town; and appointed as a committee to present it, John Brewer, Thomas Vose, John Balkham, Obadiah Allen, Abel Brooks, Job Jonson and Thaddeus Sibly which petition was granted, and the required act passed, February 18, 1811.

A meeting-house was built here in 1817, and in the following year Rev. Daniel Lovejoy was settled by the Congregationalists. The society still flourishes; and there are now also societies of the Baptists and Methodists. The town has six public schoolhouses; and the school property is valued at $2,500. The population in 1870 was 926. In 1880 it was 910. The valuation in 1870 was $127,030. In 1880 it was $111,694.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York