History of Rome, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Betsey S. Webber



Rome is situated in the north-westerly part of Kennebec County,
19 miles from Augusta, and 16 miles from Farmington. Vienna lies
on the west, Mount Vernon on the west and south, Belgrade on the
south and east; a portion of Smithfield, in Somerset County, lies on
the east of the northern part, and Mercer on the north, and New
Sharon in Franklin County on the west of the northern portion. Long
Pond, in the southern portion, Great Pond at the south-east, and North
Pond at the north-east, take up nearly half the surface of the town-
ship. It was settled about 1780. Among the early inhabitnts were
Benjamin Furbush, Trip Mosher, Stephen Philbrick, Stabard Turner,
and Joseph Halbo. These obtained their titles to their lands of Charles
Vaughan, R.G. Shaw, Renel Williams. It was first called West Pond
Plantation, but was incorporated under its present name in 1804.
Rome sent into the war of the Rebellion 103, and lost about 40. The
town is much broken by hills and valleys, but furnishes excellent
grazing, and has some superior farms. The principal rock is granite,
and the soil in general is gravelly. There are two post-offices - Rome,
near the center of town, and Belgrade Mills, at the south-east.
The principal manufactures are a saw-mill and a grist-mill.

The Baptists and the Adventists each have a society and a church
in the town. Rome has seven schoolhouses, valued at $1,400. The
valuation of estates in 1870 was $149,731. In 1880 it was $129,857.
The rate of taxation in 1880 is stated as being .033 on one dollar.
The population in 1870 was 725. In 1880, the census gave it 606.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter