History of Sebago, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Sebago is situated on the north-western shore of Lake Sebago and in the western part of Cumberland County. Bridgton and and Naples lie on the north-east, Baldwin lies on the south, and Denmark and Hiram, in Oxtbrd County, lie on the west. The early history of Sebago is blended with that of Baldwin; the territory having been granted with the latter by Massachusetts, in 1774, to Whittemore, Lawrence, and their associates,-the survivors of John Fitch and Company. In 1826 this territory was divided,-the northern part being incorporated under the name of Sebago. About 1000 acres from Denmark was annexed in 1830; and 400 acres have since been added from Baldwin; but in forming Naples, in 1834, 4,700 acres were taken from Sehago. The surface of the town is very uneven, and generally rocky. It was a severe task to clear up a farm in this rough region; but the soil was strong and repaid the industrious with abundant crops. The building and maintaining of roads among the rocky hills amid the construction of bridges over its rapid streams has always been a severe tax upon the inhabitants; but the work has been well performed. The highest eminences in Sebago are Saddleback Mountain, on the southern border, Peaked Mountain, in the eastern part, and Tiger mountain in the north-eastern. Brown's and Perley ponds,-the largest three-fourths of a mile in length-lie within town limits. On its borders are Sebago Lake, Peabody, Great Hancock, Hancock, and South-East ponds. The principal streams are North-West River, Mill Brook and Sandy Beach Brook. The chief settlement is on Mill Brook, near the centre of the town,-constituting Sebago village. The principal manufactures are long and short lumber, shooks and boots and shoes.

The town has Congregatiunalist, Baptist, Gen. Baptist, and Union churches. Sebago has nine public schoolhouses, valued at $1,600. The estates in 1870 were valued at $175,550. In 1880 they were valued at $183,095. The population at the same date was 803. The census of 1880 increases it to 808.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York