History of Sedgwick, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Sedgwick is situated in the south-western part of Hancock County, having Bluehill on the north-east, Brooksville on the northwest, Brooklin on the south-east, and Eggemoggin Reach (a part of Penobscot Bay) on the south-west. The area is about 14,000 acres. There are two or more ponds in the northern part of the town connected with Bagaduce River. The streams are Sargent’s, Frost’s Pond Stream Thurston Brook, Black Brook, Camp Stream, and Benjamin River, —all of a size to carry mills. The latter is a tide-power. Benjamin’s River and Sargent’s Stream each has a grist-mill and the other saw mills. Other manufactures are ship building, tanning and cooperage. Sedgwick has two companies—Eagle Brook Silver and Eggemoggin Silver engaged in mining argentiferous galena. The latter has a capital of $200,000, and reduction works were erected a few years since at a cost of $40,000. The villages are Sedgwick, Sargentville, and North Sedwick. The town is about 24 miles south-westerly of Ellsworth, and is the stage line to Bucksport, which terminates at Sargentville. The town has two excellent harbors. The surface is broken and ledgy. The underlying rock is granite. A large part of the town is suitable for sheep-grazing rather than for cultivation. Along the shore of Eggemoggin Reach, from Sedwick to Sargentville, the soil is easy of cultivation and quite productive. A large part of the occupation of the inhabitants is connected with the sea.

Sedgwick was one of six townships granted by Massachusetts in 1761 to David March and 359 others. They were to be 6 miles square, and located contiguously between the Penobscot and Union Rivers. The grantees bound themselves to settle each township with 60 Protestant families within six years after obtaining the king’s approbation, and to fit for tillage 300 hundred acres of land, build a meeting-house, and settle a minister. In a “census of the people of this region,” in 1688, two French families of eight persons were found at Naskeag Point. The first permanent settler was Andrew Black, in 1759. Four years later came Captain Goodwin Reed, John and Daniel Black, and two years after these, Reuben Gray moved in from Penobscot. His descendants are very numerous. In 1789, the General Court confirmed to each settler 100 acres of land. The town was incorporated the same year, being named in honor of Major Robert Sedgewick. In 1817, 5,000 acres were set off to form Brooksville; and again in 1849, about 9,000 acres were set off to form the town of Brooklin. The first minister of Sedgwick was Daniel Merrill. The two churches now in the town belong to the Baptist denomination. Sedgwick has 10 public schoolhouses, valued at $5,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $197,706. In 1880 it was $188,605. The population in 1870 was 1,113. In 1880, it was 1,128.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York