History of Sherman, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Sherman is a flourishing town in the south-western part of Aroostook County, 38 miles south-west of Houlton, 24 miles from Mattawamkeag and 10 miles from Patten. This was formerly called Golden Ridge. It was incorporated under its present name January 28, 1862. Lots 18 in ranges 2 and 3 were taken from Silver Ridge February 4, 1870. The principal streams are Molunkus and the outlet of Macwahoo Lake, in the south-eastern part. The lake is 2 miles by of a mile wide. The town is generally level, having only moderate swells. A great variety of trees are found in the forests, as beech, birch, maple, hemlock, spruce, pine, cedar, elm, ash, fir, basswood, etc. The principal rock is slate ledges. The soil is loamy and productive, yielding good crops of wheat, potatoes and hay. Young as the town is, elm and maples from 10 to 25 years’ growth decorate some of the streets. The general thriftiness shows itself in the neat appearance of the buildings, and the goodness of the roads. A bridge over Molunkus Stream at the village is 150 feet long, solidly built of wood and stone.

Sherman has a starch factory, with a capacity of producing 200 tons of starch annually, one grist-mill running about half the year, and two saw-mills running for an equal period. The nearest railroad station is at Mattawamkeag, 25 miles distant. The climate of this town seems favorable to longevity, since there are three inhabitants about 80 years of age, and 21 who are over 70. Sherman sent 113 men to do battle for the Union in the war of the Rebellion, losing 34.

The town has a good hall 35 by 60 feet in ground dimensions, and two stories in height. There is a public library of about 600 volumes. The Congregationalists have a good church edifice. There is a highschool sustained one or more terms in each year. The number of public schoolhouses is six; and the entire school pronerty is valued at $2,000. The population in 1870 was 701. En 1880 it was 798. The valuation in 1870 was $109,240. In 1880 it was $97,844. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2 per cent.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York