Smithfield lies in the south-western part of Somerset
county, west of Fairfield, south of Norridgewock, east of Mercer, and
north of Belgrade and West Waterville in Kennebec county. On the
west of the town lies North Pond, and East Pond in the southern part.
North of this, in the center of the town is a large marsh. The ponds
are each about 3 miles long and 2 wide. These ponds are beautiful
sheets of water, with excellent facilities for sailing, fishing and shoot-
ing. The surface of the town is broken by large hills and valleys.
Mount Tom and Green's Mountain are the highest elevations. The
rock is chiefly a variety of granite. The soil is a clay loam, yielding well
in hay, oats, and potatoes, -- which are the crops principally cultivated.
The beech, birch and maple are the principal forest trees. The manu-
factories consist of one saw-mill for long lumber, one shingle-mill, a
grist-mill and a fuel saw-mill. The nearest railroad station is at south
Norridgewock, 5 miles distant. The stations at North Belgrade and at
West Waterville are each 8 miles.
Smithfield was formed from parts of Mercer and Dearborn, and
called East Pond Plantation. It was incorporated under its present
name Feb. 29, 1840. Among the valued citizens should be mentioned
Rev. Henry Smith, Caleb Gilman, John Copeland, Francis Allen, Wales
Gould, Dennison Haynes, Peter Libbey, Barnabas Allen, S.N. Marston,
John Piper, Oliver Parsons and others. The town has quite a number
of residents over 70 years of age, and one that is 93. It sent about 70
men to aid in the war for the Union, and lost 14 of them.
There are two Free Baptist societies which sustain meetings in
Smithfield. The number of schoolhouses is seven, -- valued at $1,125.
The population in 1870 was 704. In 1880 it was 564. The valuation
in 1870 was $168,599. In 1880 it was $142,662. The rate of taxation
is 23 ½ mills on the dollar.