History of Somerville, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Doreen Crocker

SOMERVILLE is the north-westerly town of Lincoln County. It has Washington on the east, Jefferson on the south, Windsor, in Kennebec County, on the west, and Palermo and Liberty, in Waldo County, on the north and east. The town is about six miles long by three and a half wide. It contains two ponds, Patricktown or Long and James; the first being about two miles in length, and the last a mile long and half a mile width. The Sheepscot River, which has its origin in these ponds, furnishes a water-power here carrying a sawmill and a flour and grist-mill having three sets of stones. There are several other lumber-mills in the town that manufacture lumber, clapboards, shingles and laths. These mills all run two-thirds of the year. The town is about 20 miles N.N.E. of Wiscasset. It is on the stageline from Augusta to Rockland, and about 15 miles from the former.

The principal eminences in town are Crummet Mountain and Dodge Hill, each about 200 feet in height. The rosk is largely granitic. The soil is rocky and hard, but yields well of the crops cultivated, which are chiefly hay, potatoes, corn, oats, barley and wheat.

Somerville was formerly Patricktown Plantation. It was incorporated as a town in 1858. Among the eminent citizens of the past were David and William Gilpatrick, Enoch Gove, Ichabod Marr, John Evans, Joseph Toby, Porter Dodge, Walter Wilson and Jefferson Moore. There are twenty or more persons resident in town who are upwards of seventy years of age, and one Daniel Davis, who is one hundred and three years of age, "smart and active as seventy".

The principal religious society is the Second Advent. THe schoolhouses serve for religious meetings. The number of public schoolhouses is five, which, with other school property, are valued at $1,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $86,685. In 1880 it was $ 106,235. The rate of taxation in the latter year was twenty-three mills on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 505. In 1880 it was 540.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter