St. George is the most southerly town of Knox County.
It embraces the southern and larger part of a long and broad peninsula formed by St. George’s River on the west
and the ocean on the east. It is bounded on the north by South Thomaston. The area is 11,026 acres. It includes
Metinic, Elwell and George’s Islands. Tennant’s Harbor is the principal village. Others are St. George, South St.
George, Martinsville and Clark’s Island. At South St. George some ship-building is done; other productions are
ice and canned lobsters. At Tennant’s Harbor, is a large sail loft; and in this vicinity the Long Cove and the
Clark’s Island granite companies, and others, have their business. Tennant’s Harbor and Port Clyde each have a
St. George originally was a part of Gushing, from which it was set off and incorporated in 1803.
It is said that two families settled in this town as early as 1635. The shores were long noted for the immense
flocks of wild ducks, geese and other waterfowl that had their haunts on it, and on the adjacent islands of the
bay. During Lovewel's war, in the spring of 1724, the shore of this town was the scene of a most tragic encounter
between the whites and the Indians. Captain Winslow, a descendant of the Plymouth colony governor of that name,
being in charge of the fort at Thomaston, made an excursion down the St. George’s for the purpose of fowling. He
was accompanied by sixteen men from the garrison in two stout whale boats. A large company of Indians were in the
vicinity for the same purpose, but concealed themselves, and watched the white men. As Winslow’s company ascended
the river the next day on their return, the Indians fired upon them from an ambush on the shore. The first boat
containing Captain Winslow had been permitted to pass, and the whole fire was directed upon the rear boat under
the charge of Sergeant Harvey. The sergeant fell, and a brisk fire was returned by his companions upon their assailants.
Winslow, though past danger, hastened back in his boat to the assistance of his companions. Thirty canoes full
of savages inimediately shot out from the shore and surrounded the two boats, commencing their assault with a horrible
whoop. Every one of Winslow’s brave company fell, except three friendly Indians, who escaped and communicated the
sad intelligence to the remainder of the garrison.
The surface of St. George is moderately uneven. There are neither high hills nor deep valleys. Stone Hill, about
200 feet in height, is the greatest elevation. The principal rock is granite. Turkey Pond, one mile in circumference,
is the largest sheet of fresh water. The woods are chiefly of spruce. The soil is a clay loam, good for potatoes,
which is the crop chiefly cultivated. The principal curiosity of St. George is a cave called the “Devil’s Den,”
which has a depth of six or eight feet only. The first minister was Elder Ephraim Halt, who, with his successor,
Elder Benjamin Eames, was a Calvinist Baptist. There are societies of the Adventists, Baptists and Free Baptists
in the town. The Baptists and Free Baptists have church edifices. The town is much given to musical entertainments
by home talent. St. George village and Tennant’s Harbor have each its cornet band. St. George has 16 public schoolhouses,
and its school property is valued at $5,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $403,342. In 1880 it was $523,266.
The rate of taxation in the latter year was 12½ mills, on the dollar. The population in 1870 was 2,318.
In 1880 it was 2,875.