History of Steuben, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Steuben is a sea-coast town, and forms the south-western angle of Washington County. It is bounded on the north by Cherryfield, east by Millbridge, west by Gouldsborough, in Hancock County, and south by the ocean. This town is nearly surrounded by water. On the east is Narraguagus River and Bay; on the south the sea, on the west Gouldsborough Bay and Steuben Harbor. At the head of the latter is Steuben village, the largest in the town. Others are at the head of Dyer's and Pigeon Hill bays, in the southern part of the town. These two bodies of water are separated by Pigeon Hill, at whose extremity is Petit Manan Point. Pigeon Hill is situated at a narrow place on the upper part of the peninsula; and opposite on the western side of Dyer's Bay, is East Hill. Dyer's and Gouldsborough bays are separated by Dyer's Neck. Tunk Stream, which enters at the northern part of the town and empties into Steuben Harbor, is the principal water-course within this town, and above the village furnishes power for a saw-mill and a grist-mill. The manufactures are carriages and sleighs, staves, lumber, meal and flour, etc. This town is 36 miles west by south-west of Machias, and is on the Ellsworth and Cherryfield stageline. The surface is quite uneven, and the soil rocky. The occupations of the people are seafaring, farming and lumbering, in proportion according to the order mentioned. There are in this town two mining companies, bearing the names of Petit Manan Silver Co., and Steuben Silver Mining Co.

Steuben was No. 4, of six second-class townships granted in 1762 by Massachusetts to an association of petitioners; but these having failed to fulfill the conditions, it reverted to the State, and was on August, 26, 1794, granted to Thomas Ruston. It was first settled in 1760, and on February 27, 1795, was incorporated as a town, being named in honor of Baron Steuben, the German soldier who so nobly aided in our Revolutionary struggle.

The church organizations of Steuben are a Methodist and a Congregationalist society. The number of public schoolhouses is eleven; and the value of the school property is $3,200. The population in 1870 was 1,062. In 1880 it was 1,165. The valuation in 1870 was $186,528. In 1880 it was $185,133.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York