History of Stoneham, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886




Stoneham lies in the western part of Oxford County, south of the Androscoggin River. it is 17 miles west of Paris, and is connected with South Paris, on the Grand Trunk Railroad by a stage-line. It is bounded on the north by Mason, east by Albany, south by Lovell and west by Stow. The whole northern, western and the northern half of the eastern border is marked by mountains. These in order, beginning at the south-west, are Shell, Ellis, Adams, Speckled, Durgin, Red Rock and Bear mountains, with others smaller intervening, and not named upon the town map. Sugar Hill is quite an eminence in the northwestern section. This town lies on the north and east sides of the angle of Lovell. Adjoining Lovell on both sides are a1so mountains lying within the borders of Stoneham. Upper and Lower Stone ponds lie in the eastern part, each being about one square mile in area. Horse. shoe Pond lies on the western part of the southern line, Issachar Pond on the west-line of the southern limb of the town,and “The Five Kezars” at the extreme southern part. The principal streams are the outlets of these ponds, and Great Brook, running through the middle of the town southward to Upper Kezar Pond, which also lies partially on the southern line. Cold Brook, from the north-western mountains, and. with a pond. on its course, enters Upper Kezar west of Great Brook. The central parts of the town are more level, and in some parts have a high degree of fertility, and many farmers have laid by money. The manufactures also have proved profitable and consist, at East Stoneham, of staves, spool strips, boards and shingles; and at WTest Stoneharn, of spool strips, short lumber, carriages, wood and iron work, etc. The principal religious organization is that of the Methodists.

This town was incorporated January 31, 1834. It has five public schoolhouses, and the school property is valued at $2,000. The population in 1870 was 425. In 1880 it was 475. The valuation in 1870 was $70,250. In 1880 it was $63,381.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York