Topsfield lies in the northern part of Washington County,
and is bounded on the east by Codyville and Robbins Plantation, south by Talmage, west by Kossuth. Bascohegan Lake
lies on the north, and partly within the township. Topsfleld is in the second range north of Bingham’s Penobscot
purchase. Calais lies 36 miles to the south-east. The European and North American Railway station in Jackson Brook
Plantation is 11 miles from the principal settlement which is in the south-eastern part. The Princeton station
of the Penobscot and St. Croix Railroad is 16 miles distant. A stage-route formerly connected this town with Lincoln,
on the first mentioned railroad.
This is an excellent town for new settlers. There is one considerable eminence in the south-western part, estimated
to be about 1,000 feet in height. Musquash, Tomah and Farrar ponds lie in the southern part of the town,—the first
being about 3 miles by 2, in dimensions, the others 2 and 1 in length, and of proportional width. There is some
granite rock in the eastern part. The soil is a gravelly loam. Wheat and potatoes are the chief crops. The buildings
in the town are generally in good repair. There is one saw-mill.
Topsfield was first settled by Nehemiah Kneeland from Topsfield, Massachusetts, in 1832. It was incorporated, February
24, 1838. It is said that 74 men from this town joined the Union army in the war of the Rebellion, of whom 10 were
lost. The Methodists and Congregationalists have a Union meeting-house here. The town has four public schoolhouses,
valued at $600. The population in 1870 was 464 In 1880 it was massed with other settlements in the preliminary
census report. The polls in 1870 numbered 105; in 1880, the same. The valuation in 1870 was $82,828. in 1880 it
was $63,608. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 38 mills on the dollar.