History of Upton, Maine
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine

By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Upton, in Oxford County, lies on the New Hampshire border, in the southern part of the Rangeley Lake region. Grafton bounds it on the south, Umbagog Lake lies on the west, and Lower Richardson Lake on the north-east. Rapid River (by which the Rangeley lakes through Lower Richardson discharge into Umbagog) runs across tho north-eastern corner. Cambridge River, rising chiefly in Grafton, runs through the south-western part to the south arm of the Umbagog Take. Dead Cambridge River, a branch of the Cambridge, rises in a pond in C. Surplus, on the east, forming a junction with the main river at its principal angle near the middle of the town. In the southern part of Upton are three large hills; the south-eastern one bearing the name of First B. Hill, and the western one, the name of Upton or Second B. Hill. Most of the settlements in the township are between Cambridge River and the junction near this hill of the three southern roads. On the falls near the lake are a saw-mill and gristmill. Near by is a starch factory, carriage and shoe shops, store, etc. There are two hotels at this place. It is on the principal western route to the lakes. Cambridge and Errol in New Hampshire are the adjoining towns on the west. Upton is 50 miles north-west of Paris, and 27 from Bethel, on the stage-route from the latter place to Errol.

The rocks in this town are chiefly of coarse granite. The soil, though rocky, is light. Potatoes, wheat and oats are the crops principally cultivated. Spruce, cedar and birch trees constitute the forests.

Upton was incorporated February 9, 1860. It was formerly known as Letter B. Plantation. It sent 16 men into the Union army during the war of the Rebellion, and lost six of them. There are here Methodist and Congregational societies, and a Union church edifice. The public schoolhouses are four in number, and are valued at $400. The population in 1870 was 187. In 1880 it was 245. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $36,278. In 1880 it was $43,783. The rate of taxation in the latter year was one cent on the dollar.

Return to [ Maine History ] [ History at Rays-Place ] [ Rays-place.com ]

Maine Counties - Androscoggin - Aroostook - Cumberland - Franklin - Hancock - Kennebec - Knox - Lincoln - Oxford - Penobscot - Piscataquis - Sagadahoc - Somerset - Waldo - Washington - York