History of Vienna, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Betsey S. Webber



Vienna is the most north-westerly town of Kennebec County,
and is marked by considerable hilliness. Gilman Mountain, which ex-
tends into the adjoining town of Rome, is the greatest elevation.
Granite is the principal rock. The grazing qualities of the town are
excellent, and there are several fine farms. There are two mineral
springs of some note in town. Vienna is bounded on the east by
Rome, on the south by Mount Vernon and Chesterville, (the latter in
Franklin County), west by the same town, and north by New Sharon.
In and about Vienna are numerous ponds, the largest of which, called
Flying Pond, forms a portion of the south-west boundary. A portion
of Parker Pond lies in the southern part of the town; Egypt Pond is
on the southern border a little west of the last; at the north-west
angle is McGurdy Pond; Kimball Pond midway of the northern line,
and Boody and Kidder ponds succeed it on the east. A stream fronts
Kimball and Boody ponds, running southward, and emptying into
Flying Pond, furnishes the chief water-power in the town. On this
stream, at Vienna Village, are a shingle-mill, a saw-mill for various
lumber, and a grist-mill. Other manufactures of the town are boxes
and measures, cooperage, carriages and sleighs, shovel-handles, etc.
There is a state-route to Augusta from the village. The nearest rail-
way connection is Maine Central station at Belgrade depot, 12 miles
distant.

This township was settled about 1786, the titles being given by
Jedediah Prescott of Winthrop, and Nathaniel Whittier, of Readfield,
who had purchased it of Massachusetts. As a plantation it was named
Goshen. Its incorporation as a town occurred in 1802. The first set-
tlers were Joshua Howland, John Thompson, Patrick Gilbraith, Noah
Prescott, and John and William Allen. Following these were Arnold
Witheren, James and Robert Cofren, Johnathan Gordon, Jedediah
Whittier, Gideon Wells, Elijah Bunker, Daniel Matthews, Benjamin
Porter, Timothy White, Caleb Brown and Joshua Moore. The first
town meeting was held in that year, -- Noah Prescott being moderator,
and Daniel Morrill, clerk. The selectmen chosen were Jacob Graves,
James Cofren and Joshua Moore; treasurer, Arnold Witheren; con-
stable and collector, Thomas Lines.

Later notable citizens have been Nathaniel Graves, Oren Dowst,
John Marden, John Mooers, Nathaniel Whittier, Andrew Neal, and
others. The first child born in town was Briggs Howland. Vienna
sent 91 soldiers into the war for the Union, of which number 14 were
lost. Jesse Lee, from Virginia, was the first settled minister. There
are now in town Free Baptist and Methodist societies, each of whom
have a suitable church. Vienna has ten public schoolhouses valued at
$1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $200,015. In 1880 it was
$167,316. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 23 mills on the dollar. The
population in 1870 was 740. According to the census of 1880 it is now 644.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter