Waldo lies near the centre of Waldo County; having
Brooks on the north, Swanville on the east, Belfast on the south and Morrill on the west. The Passagassawakeag
Stream runs southward through thc western part, and the Weseot Stream through the eastern part. The Ames Ponds,
in the eastern part of the town, are the principal bodies of water. Felspathic granite is the prevailing rock.
The soil is alluvial, and bay is at present found the most profitable crop. Farming is the almost exclusive industry
of the inhabitants. It is on the Belfost and Burnham railroad.
Waldo contains about 11,600 acres. Waldo Plantation was organized July 6, 1821, and consisted only of the so-called
“Three Miles Square,” or the “Six Thousand Acre Tract,” which was set off on execution from the estate of Brigadier
General Waldo, of Boston, deceased, to Sarah Waldo, administratrix of the estate of Samuel Waldo, of Falniouth,
Maine, deceased. This tract was appraised at $8,000 by Robert Houston, James Nesmith and Daniel Clary, of Belfast.
William Taggart and a Mr. Smith, from New Hampshire, made the first clearing in 1798. near the south-east corner,
one hundred rods from the Belfast line. No family resided upon it until November 1811, when Henry Davidson moved
in, continuing a resident 36 years. In 1800 came Jonathan Thurston, from Belfast, followed in 1805 by Josiah Sanborn,
from Exeter, N.H. In 1809 Malcolm and Gleason surveyed the tract, dividing it into 60 lots, in 6 ranges of 10 lots
each. In 1824, the plantation was enlarged by the annexation of 5,318 acre3 from Swanville; and in 1836, a gore
of about 150 acres lying between Knox and the “Three Miles Square” was annexed, which completed the township as
at present constituted. Waldo was incorporated as a town March 17, 1845. There were, in 1880, one resident aged
ninetyeight, and six who were between eighty and ninety years of age. The town has a free meeting-house for religious
uses. The resident clergyman is a Methodist.
The number of public schoolhouses is seven. The value of the school property in the town is $2,000. The population
in 1870 was 648. In 1880 it was 664. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $144,218. In 1880 it was $146,923. The
rate of taxation in the latter year was 13 mills on the whole valuation.