Waldoborough occupies the middle portion of the eastern
side of Lincoln County. The town is longest from north to south. Its area is about 25,376 acres. Nobleboro' and
Jefferson bound it on the west, Washington, Union and Warren, in Knox County, bound it on the north and east, Friendship
lies on the south-east, and Bremen on the south-west. The southern portion of the town is penetrated by Broad Bay
, an extension of Muscongus Bay; and Medomac River passes through the town from north to south, emptying into Broad
Bay. Goose River separates it from Friendship, on the south-west. The principal ponds within its limits are Medomac,
and Little Medomac. Pemaquid and Duck Puddle ponds lie on the western, and Southern and Western ponds the eastern
border. The surface of the town is agreebly diversified. **Willett's mill Benner's hills are the highest eminences.
Granite is the principal outcropping rock. There are many good farms in town, and the soil generally yields well
when thoroughly cultivated. Hay and potatoes are the principal crops raised for outside markets.
The island belonging to Waldoborough are Upper Narrows, Hog, Poland's, Hadlock, Hungry, Otter, Jones', Gardne and
several smaller. The principal village is at the mouth of the Medomac River, a little south of the ventre of the
town. The productive establishments here consist of an irom foundry, an oakum mill, a carding and cloth-dressing
mill, a grain-mill, saw and planing-mills, marble and granite yards, a pottery, ship-yards, furniture and moulding-mills,
a door, sash and blind factory, a carriage factory, etc. Waldoborough is on the Knox and Lincoln Railroad, 28 miles
from Bath and 16 miles from Wiscassett. There are some fine buildings in the village, and several handsome residences.
Many of the streets are set with shade trees, consisting of maple, elm and horse-chestnut, some fo them a hundred
years old. There were built in Waldoborough collection district in the year ending June, 1880, eight vessels, having
an aggregate tonnage of 5,064.02.
Waldoborough was included within Muscingus, or Waldo Patent. It was first settled between 1733 and 1740, by Scotch-Irish
and German immigrants, brought in chiefly by the influence of General Waldo. Shortly after the latter date the
town was attacked by the Indians, the buildings burned, and the inhabitants tomahawked or carried away captives.
In 1748, immediately after the treaty of Axix-la-Chapells, the settlement was revived. In 1752-53, Samuel Waldo,
a son of the general, visited Germany, and succeeded in obtaining about 1,500 settlers from that country. A large
part of these settled on the western side of Broad Bay; but in 1763-64 the lands on this side were claimed by Drowne
under the Pemaquid Patent, and Musciongu Patent. The settlers were therefore obliged to buy of Drowne the lands
that had been assigned then by Waldo. Very soon afther this claim was satisfied, the Brown claim was extended over
the same territory; and about three hundred of the settlers, diaappointed and discouraged, sold out their property
amd emigrated to South Carolina. Yet there still remained a large and flourishing colony, of about 80 families
which in 1773 was incorporated into a town named in honor of its founder. Conrad Heyer, the first male citizen
of Waldoborough, was born in Broad Bay plantaion in 1749, and died in 1856, at the age of 106 years, 10 months,
and 9 days. He served in the Revolutionary War , and was wont to relate his adventures in that struggle with much
zest. Waldoborough was made the shire town of the county in 1786, and thus remained until 1880, when the courts
were removed to Wiscassett. The town was first represented in the General Court in 1780, by Jacob Ludwig, a citizen
of German extraction.
On the arrival of these German Pilgrims a Lutheran church was at once organized by them, and in 1762 a minister,
the Rev. John M. Schaeffer, was settled. His successors up to 1820, were Rev. Mr. Croner, Rev. R. B. Ritz, and
Rev. Mr. Starman. The churches are now two Congrgational, two Baptist, and four Methodist. There is a small circulating
library, and a library of about 1000 volumes, belonging to the Waldborough Library Association.
The "Lincoln County News" is brisk, vigorous and independent, and withal gives due attention and fair
treatment to the affairs of the county. It is edited and published by Samuel L. Miller, Esq. Thursday is the day
The town has twenty-twp public schoolhouses; which with other school property are valued at $14,000. The valuation
of estates in 1870 was $1,164,382. In 1880, it was $1,135,023. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 22 mills
on the dollar. Waldo National Bank and Medomac National Bank, located in the village, each have a capital of $50,000.
The population in 1870 was 4,174. In 1880, it was 3,759.
** could not read this as it was in source.