History of Wayne, Maine
From
A Gazetteer of the
State of Maine
By Geo. J. Varney
Published by B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886
Transcribed by Betsey S. Webber



Wayne is one of the most wealthy towns in Kennebec County.
It is bounded by Readfield and Winthrop on the east, Fayette on the
north, Monmouth on the south, and by Leeds, in Androscoggin County
on the south and west. The form of the town is triangular, being
broadest at the northern part. About one-third of its surface is water,
there being partly or wholly within its limits six ponds of considerable
size. The largest of these, Androscoggin Pond, lying on the south-
west side, contains 5.75 square miles. Wing's Pond, near the middle
of the town, has an area of about one square mile. The Androscoggin
Pond empties into the Androscoggin, and is the last of a series of more
than a dozen ponds, the first of which lie in the northern part of Vienna.
Wilson's Pond, having an area of .90 of a square mile, forms a part of
the south-eastern boundary of the town. At North Wayne, on the
stream connecting Lovejoy's with Wing's Pond, are the mills of the
North Wayne Paper Company; which, with the dwelling-houses and
other buildings belonging to the company, constitute a pleasant little
village. At Wayne village, on the stream connecting Wayne and
Androscoggin ponds, are a woolen factory, a grist-mill, a shovel handle
factory, and a sash and blind factory. Other manufactures at this
place are carriages and tinware, machinery and harrows, and marble
and granite works. The place is connected by a stage-line with the
Maine Central railway at Winthrop.

In the north the soil is sandy, in some parts clayey; in the south
the soil is gravelly and the surface hilly. The prevailing rock is
granite. The town abounds in bowlders, some of great size. The
principal crop is hay. The roads over Morrison's Hill affords some
fine views. At points on the western side the scene afforded by a
drive is most impressive and beautiful. At some points the hill rises
far and steep above the road while on the other it descends with equal
steepness down hundreds of feet to the waters of the pond, here dark
and shadowy, there glowing with colors or sparkling with wavelets. Of
the two small islands in the pond, one is known to have been an Indian
burial place.

Job Fuller, who is believed to have been the first settler, made im-
provements here as early as 1773. The eastern part was included in
the Plymouth proprietary, but the titles of the residue were from
Massachusetts. Among the early settlers were the Fullers, Wings,
Norrises, Besses, Lawrences, Sturdevants, Washburnes, Maxims, Dex-
ters, Frosts and Bowles. The place was first named Pocasset, and
afterward New Sandwich, until its incorporation, in 1798. It was then
named for Anthony Wayne, one of Washington's generals. The
famous songstress, Annie Louise Cary, was formerly a resident of the
town.

The Methodists have two churches, and the Baptists and Free Bap-
tists, one each. Wayne has a high-school; and her public school-
houses number nine, and are valued at $6,500. The valuation in 1870
was $344,692; in 1880, $338,802. The population in 1870 was 938;
in 1880, 950.

Return to [Maine Towns]

Blind Counter